The Bahamas (Did you enjoy them)

Did you enjoy diving the Bahamas?

• Totally

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • Had a good/great time

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Average... little better then diving area lakes at home.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Didnt care for it much.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I'd save my money next time for another trip.

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Bahama's are not cheap.
Avoid the bazzars unless you like being trated as a "mark".
I've been a couple times and really enjoyed the water.
On my last trip the locals seemed unmotivated,unhappy...just not sure how to describe it but basically unfriendly reguardless of how large I tipped.I spent 10 days on Cable beach the last time and tipped large the first day when my wife complained about the service at the hotel bar I thought a couple of big tips might buy me better service...might as well gave 'em a shiney nickle.
Diving was really nice for a California boy used to 7mm.
We used Bahama Divers 3 days and left because they were odd.
Did the rest of the trip with Dive Dive Dive,had great service and a great time.Be warned that DDD will want to have you on a short leash and "nanny" dive ya unless you discuss your intensions prior to the dive.
Shark dives are a must so is the Blue hole.
I bet you'll like it.
Have fun.

Bahamas was incredible and price right. We went to Grand Bahama Island...Sharks on every dive, grouper, clear water.... a taste of paradise.

xtracheese4me:
For those of you that have dove the Bahamas......partically the new Providance island... did you enjoy it???

The Bahamas to a uk diver is paradise, especialy after you get over the shock of being able to see for bloody miles, us rufty tufty UK types like diving in the fogy stuff.

A bit shallow and laid back diving, but nice all the same no real challenging stuff, but who cares.

I did like feeding the rays cheese by hand and having to peel of the little sucky fish who decided i was good thing to attach to..

Kevin

I have to say I hated my time in Nassau. We were on a round the world trip and decided we needed a break from backpacking and were desperate to get wet so spent a week at the Hilton. Asides from the hotel staff being outrageously rude (they couldn't find our pre-paid booking and charged us $5 to prove we had paid and had a room there) Nassau itself is a cruise ship pit and therefore everything associated with such a pit follows it.

We did our diving with dive dive dive - I'm not sure they're still going as they were fairly run down at the time and looked like they would cave to Stuarts Cove which is a shame because as a dive op they were good. The diving round that area was 'okay' but I've done much better.

I know this is one person's limited experience of Nassau and from what I've heard the outer islands are much better but in all honesty, unless it was free, I would go elsewhere.

There was a Brit who posted earlier about Bahamas being a paradise for us - my advice is to take the BA plane from London, don't get off when it stops in Nassau, continue to Grand Cayman and enjoy!

In no particular order here are the places I have dived and would rate over and above Nassau for both under and over water experience [not the rest of Bahamas as have no experience] - Key Largo, Cozumel, Cayman, Bonaire, Peninsula Malaysia, Indonesia, Sipidan, Red Sea.

and places I would rate behind Nassau - Portsmouth, southern English coast!

Says it all really!

I liked diving in the Bahamas, though you can do "better diving" in other places.
(Been diving in Bimini area and Berry Islands area).

The people in the 'out islands' are nice, but I found many of the people
on Nassau on to simply be 'a-holes' and very rude, like they had a grudge
of having to "serve" the tourists there. (Of course if it wasn't for the
tourists, they wouldn't have a job)

We go to Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island, Bahamas, twice every year.

http://www.smallhope.com

It's actually cheaper than going to the Florida Keys, and it's only 45 minutes from Fort Lauderdale.

I've been to Nassau a few times. I wouldn't waste my time going back there again.

Looks wonderful but its definately not cheaper than the Keys......

Doc Harry:
We go to Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros Island, Bahamas, twice every year.

http://www.smallhope.com

It's actually cheaper than going to the Florida Keys, and it's only 45 minutes from Fort Lauderdale.

I've been to Nassau a few times. I wouldn't waste my time going back there again.

We went to Grand Bahama a year ago and had a wonderful time, the people were great, the island is beautiful & the food although expensive was very good.

We dove with Sunn Odyssey divers, Nick and Karen are wonderful people and although the weather didn't coorperate with us as much as we wanted, a northern on the east coast caused it to be a little cooler and windier than usual, the diving was very nice, we saw a dolphin, some sharks, rays and depending on the reef lots of fish.

a couple of big remoras tagged along below me like I was a shark for a couple of dives, really cool!

Go to the out islands! I went to Abaco Island on my honeymoon....American Airlines flies out there (to Marsh Harbour). Stayed at the Abaco Beach Resort. Great diving there, and much less crowded and commercialized. We dove with Above and Below Abaco, and its the best dive shop I've ever dove with.

Back
Top Bottom