The best fin is a snorkel fin ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Rodales Scubadiving just released the results of their latest fin test. To my (and everyone it seems) surprise the best fins were full foot snorkel fins. They easily beat out all the others including the split fins.

The article in the magazine first said the Oceanic Caribe fins were the "bar-none best performing fin in this test go-round, the agile Caribe from Oceanic is simply a marvel of engineering." Then a few sentences later they state "While male divers fell in love with the Caribe, female divers remained somewhat cool." Their excuse was primarily problems with fit and the donning and doffing on deck and in the water. So even though the women didn't have access to fins that fit, weren't real wild about them....they still are the "bar-none best performing fin"?!?

Hold the phone, don't tell me rodales if giving inacurate information, that would just destroy everything I believe in. :wink:

Well I read the Rodales article on fins as well. I use Apollo bio fins normally (Puget Sound codl water diving with boots) but wanted to try a warm water / snorkle fin.

Had a heck of a time getting the Caribe fin. No one locally (WA) carried the fin that I could find. Finally ordered two sets (one set for my wife and one for me) out of Mike Parnell's shop in Chicago. Great dive shop to deal with by the way.

Anyway, took the fins for a test in Florida. My wife and I really liked our Caribe fins. They were just what we wanted for shallow diving, photography and snorkling. Harder to get off getting into the boat and the ladder was rough on bare feel but all in all, worth the money ~ $40.00

I disagree with the ratings on power. My apollo bio fins perform much better for me in current and when I needed power to go. So now I am stuck with carrying both fins, luckily the caribe's are very light and pack nicely over the Apollo's in the dive bag.

BTW they look way cool in the water. The flex of the fin with the up and downstroke is very .... artistic????

I have been using a pair of Tusa Reef Tourer fins. These are similar to the Oceanic Caribe. Actually the same fin with a slightly different pattern on the soft insert at the end of the fin. I suspect the Reef Tourer scoops a bit more water on the downstroke, judging from the looks. Anyway, these babies cost all of $30 bucks and swim pretty nice, even in a current. They also took about 4# out of my gear bag as compared to the Aqualung blades & booties I used previously. They fit perfectly & are easy to get on & off.

Four pounds out of your gear bag? I thought the idea was to carry as much gear as possible!

:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom