The BEST wreck Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scapa Flow – German High Seas Fleet remnants + James Barrie steam trawler + Tarbarka blockship

Truk Lagoon – Remnants of Japanese supply fleet

Egypt – Thistlegorm, Ghiannis D, Rosalie Moller, Carnatic, Kimon M, Salem Express

Sudan – Umbria and Blue Belt

Grenada – Bianca C, Shakem, King Mitch and San Juan

Barbados – Stavronikita

Mark

SKBRDVR1:
'Best" is definable in many ways. Having spent a good deal of time on a lot of wrecks off the NC/SC coast, I think they rank at the top of the list. I'm sure Bikini Atoll would be more interesting, but we've got everything from the Queen Anne's Revenge (Blackbeard the Pirate) to German U-Boats to modern reef wrecks. However, be aware that our conditions are not the best sometimes. You may have a long boat ride (sometimes 3-4 hours) to get to "snotty" conditions. There are a lot of "cattle" boat operations. Riding 3-4 hours with 20-25 puking maniacs is no fun!
The wrecks still give up booty. If you can get a charter organization to run you on a 6 or 12 pack and you can get sell the whole boat, then you're all on the same sheet of music and typically the dives are better.
My vote is a "go" for the NC/SC coast
I gotta agree with SKBRDVR1.

The great lakes has beautiful wrecks, many of them older wooden wrecks, and nicely preserved. But the freshwater wrecks do not offer the same amenities as those off North Carolina, when diving in or near the Gulf Stream. The water can be in the 70s and 80s, a deep crystal blue. The vis can be up to 100' or more. There are sharks, rays, large turtles, sunfish (mola mola), schools of baitfish so dense they obscure the wreck, and huge pelagic fishes who inhabit the wrecks. While hanging on deco stops, we've had a pod of dolphins swim around us for over 20 minutes, perhaps 30-40 of them darting in all directions. The diversity of life on the wrecks in the Gulf Stream is unparalleled in my experience, and you can enjoy wreck depths from 60'-70' down to the E.M. Clark at 240' in the same conditions.

I've dived wrecks off Okinawa, the Philippines, Guam, Palau and Peleliu in the South Pacific, the Great Lakes, and Florida's east coast...and the east coast wrecks that lie in the Gulf Stream are simply world-class if you catch them on a day when the weather cooperates. Additionally, many of them have tragic history - you can dive a tanker that was torpedoed one day and the german submarine that killed her the next day. They are real wrecks, not artificial reef wrecks, and they offer diverse challenges.

For my money, the wrecks that lie in the Gulf Stream off North Carolina - on a good day - are among the finest wreck diving on the planet.

YMMV.

Fujikawa Maru in Truk Lagoon (just do a Google Search). So much to admire for both novice and advanced diver alike. From engine room penetrations, to cargo hold artifacts (a disassembled Zero Fighter in one hold), and just diving along the side of the Wreck: You'll see a beautiful wall with an abundance of sea fans, whips, sponges, anemones and other soft corals together with dense colorful fish life. 437’ long, sitting upright with depths ranging from 35’ at the Bridge, 75’ at the deck level, and 120’ to the propeller. Truly a magnificent mini-Tropical Reef. . .

Scuba Brad:
I have often people ask us where in this wonderful world is the "BEST" wreck diving. You know I can't answer that question..........but I know you will have the answer so I'm asking WHERE IS THE BEST WRECK DIVING in the world?? And what makes it great? More advanced or can a novice dive it?

Thanks

Happy Diving
No doubt about it, the Mikhail Lermontov in New Zealand, the curtains are still hanging in the cabins, the bottles of shampoo still float in the hairdressers, there is still beer in the fridge behind the bar and likely you and your buddy are the only people you see ! I have seen a few wrecks but this one got me so hooked I had to have a job as a guide on it, mind you I know a guy who has a years worth of bottom time on it!

Scuba Brad:
I have often people ask us where in this wonderful world is the "BEST" wreck diving. You know I can't answer that question..........but I know you will have the answer so I'm asking WHERE IS THE BEST WRECK DIVING in the world?? And what makes it great? More advanced or can a novice dive it?

Thanks

Happy Diving
No doubt about it, the Mikhail Lermontov in New Zealand, the curtains are still hanging in the cabins, the bottles of shampoo still float in the hairdressers, there is still beer in the fridge behind the bar and likely you and your buddy are the only people you see ! I have seen a few wrecks but this one got me so hooked I had to have a job as a guide on it, mind you I know a guy who has a years worth of bottom time on it!

Another vote for NC...But I'm biased...Doc Intrepid said it. There have been times I have dived the U-352 and could see it by the time I got to the anchor line. It lies at about 105fsw. On a good day the water is just as clear as it would be in the Carribean, it's just a darker shade of blue. Gotta love it....

Well the best wreck is the one that you have yet to discover.

The great lakes definitely have incredible wrecks from Fathom Five National Marine Park in Tobermory to the St Lawrence River, here's a link to some of the wrecks in Ontario.
http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3422/

But one of the best-kept secrets lies out in Conception Bay Newfoundland. The Bell Island wrecks were four iron ore carriers sunk buy U-boats during WWII. Because of the cold water these wrecks are in pristine condition.

I stayed with a dive outfit called Ocean Quest charters and had the time of my life. The service was second to none and the seafood to die for. Oh yay did I mention you can dive an Iceberg while your there. Check them out at:
http://oceanquestcharters.com

PS: would like to get out to Truk lagoon sometime.

Paul.

wreckedinri:
With so many great places and great wrecks it is impossible to state with certainty where the "best" wreck diving in the world is. All we can do is each cast a vote for our favorite. What may be great for some, may not be attractive to others.

IMHO, Like Jersey, and the "Lakes", for quantity, quality, and range of depths (20-250fsw) it's tough to beat New England . . . and it happens to be my backyard.

Just some - OK, most - of the wrecks that we can dive most any day.

How about Long Island, or as Dan Berg called it, "Wreck Valley"

We have great wrecks, and on the west end it melds with New Jersey wrecks, and on the east end those New England ones also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom