The BEST wreck Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Brad

Reaction score
I have often people ask us where in this wonderful world is the "BEST" wreck diving. You know I can't answer that question..........but I know you will have the answer so I'm asking WHERE IS THE BEST WRECK DIVING in the world?? And what makes it great? More advanced or can a novice dive it?

Thanks

Happy Diving

Wreck dives are generally a bit deep for a novice, and many rquire Aow - with Nitrox being a very important suggestion. I suppose the best would be on the other side of the world where WWII naval battles were fought, but in waters shallow enough for recreational divers.

Here in the US...
>> You have the Florida Keys wrecks, Gove Bibb, Duanne, Eagle, T-Bolt. Busch;
>> Of of North Carolina, WWI and WWII wrecks, but this is more advanced;
>> Out of San Diego there are many I have not done; and
>> In the St.Lawrence, accessed from Canada usually, some great river wrecks.

There are others, of course. :14:

'Best" is definable in many ways. Having spent a good deal of time on a lot of wrecks off the NC/SC coast, I think they rank at the top of the list. I'm sure Bikini Atoll would be more interesting, but we've got everything from the Queen Anne's Revenge (Blackbeard the Pirate) to German U-Boats to modern reef wrecks. However, be aware that our conditions are not the best sometimes. You may have a long boat ride (sometimes 3-4 hours) to get to "snotty" conditions. There are a lot of "cattle" boat operations. Riding 3-4 hours with 20-25 puking maniacs is no fun!
The wrecks still give up booty. If you can get a charter organization to run you on a 6 or 12 pack and you can get sell the whole boat, then you're all on the same sheet of music and typically the dives are better.
My vote is a "go" for the NC/SC coast

Good wreck diving world wide?

Scapa flow and Truk lagoon spring to mind immediately.

Don't forget Lake Superior and other great lakes. The water is cold year round so even older wrecks are in pristine condition.

There are a lot of nice fresh water wrecks in the St. Lawrence seaway. Although a number of them are deep, some are as shallow as 40' and accessible from the shore (The Islander). Others are in the 40'-90' range and accessible by boat (like the Keystorm), but are not especially difficult dives.

Some are much deeper, but there are bunches of wrecks within recreational limits.

Terry

Scuba Brad:
I have often people ask us where in this wonderful world is the "BEST" wreck diving. You know I can't answer that question..........but I know you will have the answer so I'm asking WHERE IS THE BEST WRECK DIVING in the world?? And what makes it great? More advanced or can a novice dive it?

Thanks

Happy Diving

Canada's Fathom Five National Park, near Tobermory, Ontario, is "home" to a number of very interesting wrecks. They range in difficulty from novice to advanced. Some are shore dives, others are boat dives. It is cold-water diving, so gloves hood, and a 7 mm wet suit or a dry suit are needed. Still, the wrecks are in excellent condition, except for the shallower ones which have been flattened and split open by the winter ice. However, these shallower wrecks do give you a sense of diving over an archaeological dig site.

A map and description of most of the wrecks around Tobermory may be found at the following site:

http://www.diversden.ca/index.html

The "Dive Sites" page is accessed via the "Divers Den Menu" at the upper left hand side of the page.

Back
Top Bottom