The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What have the water temps been lately ? Has it hit 80 yet ?

It's pretty close. We had an upwelling yesterday and the day before that dropped it back down to 78, but it had been 79, and expect that it will break 80 in the next couple of weeks.

Awesome pics Jeff! That shark was awesome! I've only ever had a bull swim up to me like that once.

I'm sorry to be tardy (again) with the dive reports from over the weekend... I'll get them up as soon as I get home tonight.

I'm afraid I'm not a very good night time picture taker, but Friday we did a twilight dive out on Clubhouse, and then a full blown night dive out on the Castor. Visibility wasn't so great, but there was alot of stuff out on Clubhouse. The current was reported to be hard north by the Sea Mist, but we got lucky, and by the time we hit the water, it was just barely creeping north.

Vis was probably like 35 feet or so, seas were 2-3ish. We dropped in a little bit south of where we normally do for Clubhouse, but only about 300 yards or so. We had a couple of nice visits with a good sized cobia, some mating hamlets and a couple of tiger's paw sea cucumbers and a hermit crab. it was pretty good. None of my pictures from this dive came out at all, they were all blurry. I guess I need to give the camera more light to aim with.

Next was the Castor. The current was just right for doing it, but even though we allowed ample time for the nocturnals to come out, it was kinda quiet down there. There are cup corals all over the place on this wreck, which are quite beautiful, but I just didn't find alot beyond them. There were some French Angels trying to sleep, but I didn't want to wake them up with strobe blasts.

Castorcups3.jpg

Yellow cup coral. I think that technically, it's a coralimorph and not coral.

We found another horny turtle. I'm sorry that I cannot remember the dives for sure, but I think they were the Castor and Gulfstream. I didn't bring the camera with on the first dive, and I don't remember alot of the details, but I do know that the goliath grouper were out and about, as well as some permit. Vis wasn't so hot again, maybe 40' or so. The current was moderate and to the north.

We dropped right on top of a baby green turtle, and I managed to get a shot of him, but he looked like he was getting nervous, so I left him alone. The next turtle was the highlight of the morning. She was also a loggerhead, but seemed like she'd been around for longer than the last one. She swam amongst us, going from diver to diver, just checking us out, and then went up for a sip of air. She followed us around for quite some time afterwards.

hornturt.jpg

This loggerhead looked a little older than the last one that was interested in me.

HornyOnespeed.jpg

Onespeed checks out the turtle, but she has already fallen for my circular midriff. Sorry Onespeed.

MindnTurt.jpg

The turtle checks out Mindy.

bored.jpg

Because at Underwater Explorers, our divers are so used to having turtles swimming in the group, many of them are bored with them and just ignore them.

Fisheye view and Reef Photo Kelly joined us for the pm trip! We waited around for a spot on the reef for a few minutes, but eventually headed down to Delray Ledge because it was so derned hot out. The current had become fairly healthy, and taking pictures of fish with my old camera required lots of luck and acts of God due to the long shutter lag. I ended up taking mostly pictures of divers.

Mindy.jpg

Mindy

Chip.jpg

Chip

Scott.jpg

Scott

RKelly.jpg

Kelly

Jeff.jpg

Jeff

Troy.jpg

Troy

thegang.jpg

Everyone. I couldn't see the monitor on the camera because it was so bright out. I accidentally cut off Alex's head. Sorry Alex!

We went up to Black Condo to do the second dive. Again, the current wasn't very helpful with my pics, but I did manage to find a porcupinefish that looked like he survived a recent green moray attack, and a couple of spadefish.

morayfight.jpg

This porcupinefish looks like he's been attacked.

spades.jpg

The spades.

I'll have to write the last (and most exciting) report tomorrow... I'm definitely pooped.

dude, you seriously need to work on sizing... :rofl3:

Had a great time out with everyone last weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom