The Canon 5dmkii for video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Mike, insurance isn't priced too badly and Its piece of mind with the camera and housing. Video cameras are a lot more than $3500 but worth every penny for the images! imho =)

It does make sense for pro underwater videography and photographer to use highest level equipment. But for the none pro, is it worth the of losing your all in one camera during a trip because of a flood. Or does it make more sense to use a less expensive dive camera?

Since you really need to get close up for a good shot underwater, as water is not the best medium for light. My expectation of underwater photo are not as high as on dry land. A good 300 buck P&S something like a dc1000 with a good underwater case does the job for me. Maybe a strobe also. Grand total under 800 bucks. I just swim closer to what I plan to shoot. I save my T1i and old eos-1 for the surface and intown shots. Saving on a 600 body, 500 dollar lens that may get damage, and the 1500 housing cost. And I can take the super sharp photo topside. And being more streamline underwater.

My shots do not generate money it is for personal memories, so expensive underwater equipment does not make sense imho.

When it comes to underwater video, $2,700 is really a drop in the bucket. That camera body you're worried so much about may actually end up being the cheapest thing to replace if everything floods!

Yes I agree,

But again as a non underwater pro that has a finite wallet, does it make sense to dive something that is 3500 depending on the lens you put on?

PS the 50dmkii with housing is a 5000+ dollar setup depending which L lens you use.

It cannot be said enough, it really depends on what you want out of your images and how into it you are. 80% of our customers are just amateurs that enjoy it, want the best they can afford, and want to continue learning. If you are a creative topside shooter, then learning the undersea side of it is yet another adventure and a completely different one. A Sealife system is a simply point and shoot, no creativity or control level involved really.

Again, for a $5-8k system, you will spend 300-400 a year on insurance and the entire system is covered...that gives you peace of mind to enjoy...and reality is although floods do occur, quality equipment and proper maintenance makes them very very rare.

If you want more then what the DC1000 can do, get something like the G11 400 bucks, spend 150 on a housing and 150 on strobe, and you have a good underwater setup for 700 bucks, with manual controls. And you a very good bridge camera at that with the ability to shoot RAW. There are options for taking nice pictures underwater for the the personal diver that does not entail putting up a 5000 investment. And I would guess the insurance on a 700 set up will be way less the 300-500 bucks a year.

If you want more then what the DC1000 can do, get something like the G11 400 bucks, spend 150 on a housing and 150 on strobe, and you have a good underwater setup for 700 bucks, with manual controls. And you a very good bridge camera at that with the ability to shoot RAW. There are options for taking nice pictures underwater for the the personal diver that does not entail putting up a 5000 investment. And I would guess the insurance on a 700 set up will be way less the 300-500 bucks a year.

Can't argue the numbers, but if you compare photo/video from a $700 system, to photo/video from a $5,000 system, there will be a very big difference.

Whether or not that difference is worth the $4,300 price tag is up to the individual. Surf the net. Find underwater video and photo's that impress you. Something that you would like to match quality wise. If it's a $700 system great. If it's a $5000 system, great too. Just means you have to spend more money if you want the higher quality.

I have a Gates housing and Sony HD camcorder. I wear a casio watch. My friend wear's a Rolex and shoots uw photo with a point and shoot.

I am a camera buff, and the difference between something like a g11 and say my t1i or a 7d is not noticeable unless you print pass 8x10. The quality of the bridge camera are remarkable and unless you crop in to 100% on a computer screen you will not see much difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom