The Canon 5dmkii for video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iscubainmymind

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The Canon 5dmkii for video?

Do you use this camera for video? Does it have major drawbacks?

I want an all in one solution so i only have to buy 1 camera/1 case

What about the New Nikons with Video?

Thanks!

The 5d MKII is a great camera as a still camera, and a pretty good video camera. if you are looking for an all in one solution, that may very well be the way to go. If you are looking for a dedicated video camera, then I would look at actual video cameras.

Now that there was a software upgrade months back, the drawbacks are minimal. It sounds like for what you are looking for, it may be the way to go.

You might also want to take a look at the new 7d! I really like that camera better than the 5d2. I like the ergonomics, the controls, and the fact that you can use the Tokina 10-17 withou having to use a teleconverter. I am housing a 7d for myself personally. That is the camera that switched me from being a 10 year Nikon shoot!!

As for the Nikons, the video just isnt the same as the Canon. Canon definitely has them beat for now.

I do not own the 5D MK II but have uses it on occasion. I have the T1i.

The canon 5D MK II is a great FF camera, so it is heavy compare to aps-c format. It takes out standing photo. But in camera HD video is still pretty new. You will hear the AF motor during focusing. Audio is not that great, and it is not compressed. There is still allot for the all the camera companies to work out. . But you are limit to a 12 minute video at 4gb. These are the same issues the my T1i has HD mode. It does shot at 30fps full HD vs my T1i at 20fps. I carry a JVC hd camcorder still to shot videos.

The nikon do not shot in full HD, only 720. It has the same issues as the canon. And there is a jellying effect will moving. The nikon D90 and D5000 are not in the same class as the 5D MK II in image quality and resolution. Also they are both aps-c camera's vs full frame.

The HD feature is nice for something the just pop up when you are shooting photos. But if I was going to take video from the start, I would still use a camcorder. Also, a hd camcorder is easier to manage during shooting then a dslr, most of the new ones are palm size like my jvc.

Check out this review with video clips.
Canon 5D MKII Video Mode a Disaster - Pro Photo HOME

PS,

I would not dive with that camera. Even with a great housing, at 2700 for just the body, I would not take a chance with a leak. I do not need a $3500 paper weight with the lens. imho.

Insurance for camera systems today is relatively cheap. The above is something we hear quite often from customers, but the reality is for a small fraction of what you pay for your system, flood, theft and damage insurance can be purchased. Many can even have it has a rider on their rental or flood insurance policy.

I always wonder about that? If say something where to happen with a leak, does the insurance pay 100% of the new purchase price or is it like cars over time where they pay less over time?

It depends on your insurance company. Some will just replace it, some will pay you for replacement value. Ive never had a customer with a legitimate claim not get enough to replace the camera. The easiest to use, and the company I recommend most is h2oinsurance.com through DAN.

PS,

I would not dive with that camera. Even with a great housing, at 2700 for just the body, I would not take a chance with a leak. I do not need a $3500 paper weight with the lens. imho.

I agree with Mike, insurance isn't priced too badly and Its piece of mind with the camera and housing. Video cameras are a lot more than $3500 but worth every penny for the images! imho =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom