The carry on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the thread is more about evidence of airlines moving more towards
A) ambiguous discriptions of allowances ( reference uk carriers to Egypt who say you have to declare ‘scuba’ gear but have no explaination of how it differs from ‘snorkeling gear’
B) bringing ‘airline approved’ dimensions and weights only to have them arbitrairaly challenged by cabin crew at the gate. I have seen many instances of ‘the flight is fully booked and we need volunteers to gatecheck and if we don’t get enough we will instruct you to gatecheck’ which leads to arguments about the value of contents etc. etc. even though your carryon is within allowable dimensions.....and don’t respond with ‘I would just refuse’ etc :)

Reactions: Doc
I think the thread is more about evidence of airlines moving more towards
A) ambiguous discriptions of allowances ( reference uk carriers to Egypt who say you have to declare ‘scuba’ gear but have no explaination of how it differs from ‘snorkeling gear’
B) bringing ‘airline approved’ dimensions and weights only to have them arbitrairaly challenged by cabin crew at the gate. I have seen many instances of ‘the flight is fully booked and we need volunteers to gatecheck and if we don’t get enough we will instruct you to gatecheck’ which leads to arguments about the value of contents etc. etc. even though your carryon is within allowable dimensions.....and don’t respond with ‘I would just refuse’ etc :)
Do something to board earlier, seems there have been suggestions earlier in the thread.

That really doesn’t work unless you are first/business class in many instances. They often make the announcement and challenge people before anyone has boarded. It’s becoming endemic with westjet from Canada...for example.

I’m happy that you haven’t experienced these issues, no one should. But it is becoming more of a common occourance to the extent that people may consider alternative packing strategies than those that used to work, especially if they don’t want to have to gatecheck valuable items on demand or end up in an argument they are not going to win, even though they are in the right

rant on/
I have no sympathy for folks who insist on putting both their carry-on items in the overhead. I'll mention it to them, with a smile, "Hey, you put your underseat item in the overhead!" Depending on their response, I may say something to the flight attendant. Am I minding my own business? Damn straight; my business is trying to get the one spot in the overhead that I am entitled to, not to wrestle with some a$$hat who is lazy and entitled.
/rant off

rant on/
I have no sympathy for folks who insist on putting both their carry-on items in the overhead. I'll mention it to them, with a smile, "Hey, you put your underseat item in the overhead!" Depending on their response, I may say something to the flight attendant. Am I minding my own business? Damn straight; my business is trying to get the one spot in the overhead that I am entitled, not to wrestle with some a$$hat who is lazy and entitled.
/rant off

I see this all the time!! It burns my bacon too.

I have the Pelican 1615Air as well. I took black duck tape and covered the areas that say Pelican so as not to get attention. The bag is 15 lbs which is its main disadvantage compared with other lighter cases. I expect this being the last case I purchase for travel The case is rugged as can be. I carry the specification for the case which as mentioned above is exactly made dimension wise for checked in baggage. In case there is an issue, I show proof.

Previously,I had a 1650 Pelican before weight restrictions. It got cracked by the airlines. I could not believe it when I saw it. Pelican replaced the case without issues.

On a recent trip, I took the first and second stages off the hoses and carried them on. The hoses went in checked luggage. Sad that I have to do this but air travel has become difficult to say the least.

Pelicans as carry on cabin baggage.

All to protect those oh-so-delicate regulators.

Makes my brain hurt.

I will take a picture of this carry on bag with some measurements when I get home I’m still wrapping up my trip in Florida. In no way does this bag look oversized and when I’m dragging it by the handle you’d never know it’s was heavy and it’s only heavy with five peoples gear.

With two or three divers regs computers and my land camera which is fragile it’s not to heavy. And its small enough to toss at the baggage sizing check stations from a distance and it would fall in. It’s not even close to being over sized.

The problems are at the terminal and it really does piss me off that my bags being kicked into checked baggage when there’s usually 100 huge bags in the bins when I’m boarding, if you want to start enforcing policy start enforcing it on oversized bags first. It will fit under any airplane seat. But they still give me grief.

One of these Delta flights I’m arguing with the two employees at the terminal entrance to the plane and there telling me that in there fine print they don’t have to let me take a carry on to the plane. But as I boarded most of planes bins had huge bags in them.

And yes I could split these up and have others in my party carry there stuff but this bag is undersized and perfectly fits and protects my gear if carried on. And if I split my gear up and everyone has to check there bags it’s even worse. My wifes carry on is even bigger. But I’ll restate this bag is not big at all.

I purposly bought a sub-sized soft bag for this trip. While I was putting it in the overhead some jerk with a wildly oversized bag told me to turn it on it's side because it would leave more room and space is tight. I told him if a$$hats didn't fill the overheaad with way oversized crap there would be plenty of room. He didn't reply. Why don't airline personnel police what is being carrried on? It's seriously unfair to those of us that obey the size limits.

Reactions: Doc
The normal size carry-on nowadays (you know, the ones with the wheels and handle) is way bigger that the metal thing you see that restricts size. My carry-on would fit in the thing, yet all those others take their big normal carry-ons on the plane. I just don't get it.
Agree with the post about airline travel getting harder and harder--I noticed it the last maybe 10-15 years. I used to look forward to flying and other than weather-related delays, you could set your watch by the flight schedules. I KNOW it's not just because I'm old and bitter.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom