The Cobra vs The Wisdom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I'm trying to decide on a dive computer to buy... I really like the features offered by Suunto's Cobra computer and Sherwood's Wisdom computer- so I've narrowed it down to those two models and would like to hear some comments on both models. Does anybody have any experience with either of these- good/ bad, etc? Would love to hear your opinions!

I love my cobra for what I use it for. My recommendation is hit the search button and type in suunto cobra and then do it with the wisdom.

You should get more info than you want or need. Lots of info here.

Welcome again!
Hallmac

I have a Wisdom. I like the large numbers, the plan (to 190 ft)and sim (to 330 ft) modes, the liberal time at depth, the conservative ascent rates and standard 3 min 20 ft saftey stop.

It works great for deco diving and accomodates stops down to 70 ft. It is nitrox compatible from 21 to 50% and can switch between air and nitrox modes.

It has a full set of audible and visual alarms with user settable values and all of them can be turned off - a really nice feature.

The battery is user replaceable and available at Wal-mart, and if you swap them within 8 seconds (easy to do) you won't lose any N2 or O2 loading information or computer setting and consequently will not screw up your dive vacation.

After a little over 80 dives my first Wisdom died but was replaced free of charge with a new one in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info, guys... So far I'm leaning with the Cobra. Almost all of the instructors I know recommend that one, and the one instructor I do know who has a Wisdom has become increasinlgy dissatisfied with it. Interestingly, you mentioned that your Wisdom had died on you- his did also, so I'm getting leery of how reliable they are.

Just an FYI for you.

We've had less than a 1% return rate on the Wisdoms World Wide.

But, what ever computer you choose, enjoy it!!!

My wisdom was an early low serial numbered unit and I am not overly concerned with a problem. It also continued to provide pressure information even after the deco algorithim went out for a beer, so I have no real complaints. It was not a situation that could not be handled with proper contingency planning and the service support was excellent.

I personally like the Wisdom over the Cobra. The Wisdom is just ridiculously easy to use yet packed with lots of features - in a matter of seconds, I can go back and view all the details of a specific dive from the past. It only has 2 buttons on it, which makes it easy to understand and navigate throughout.

My dive buddy has had the Cobra for over 2 years and he is looking to sell it to get a Wisdom. He could never get a grasp on the Cobra, and in a matter of minutes, he was quite savvy with my Wisdom. That's just my 2 cents.

Good luck on your search!

They are both very good computers but I would go with the Cobra very well laid out easy to use. I pick it up push a few buttons the screen gave the info I needed.

Wife and I both use Cobras. Added a quick disconnect and just ordered the PC Interface. Flawless accuracy plus the batteries seem to last forever. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom