The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are missing it.

If you spear while in or under the water, you are spearfishing. I was in the FWC office yesterday. They had the video. There is a violation. FWC is taking action.

As to your comments about the sanctuary, I may be wrong but I think you are deflecting and attempting to muddy the waters. I know from your posts you do not support the sanctuary. One thing the officer told me which I will share; There were lot's more than "dozens" who called. Most were calling to support the sanctuary. The ones that FWC could respond to were the ones about spearing at the pier.

Again...your post did did more to draw attention to the BHB than Scubadiving magazine did.

I will say one more time. I spoke to the district Captain at FWC. He (and upper management who deferred it to him) saw the video. It is a violation and is under investigation.

With whom did you speak?

Have we heard anything else about the investigation?

It's taken a while but I finally got written confirmation from FWC that divers are allowed to knife fish in close proximity to a designated fishing pier.

This is the exact wording used in their correspondence:

Harvesting a fish with merely a knife directly in your hand is not spearfishing, but is spearing. As such, it does not fall under the spearfishing regulation of being prohibited within 100 yards of a fishing pier.

I have been assured that this opinion is supported by the Law Enforcement Division of the FWC as well.

I hope that this clears up the question of legality of the activities shown in the flounder video.

Have we heard anything else about the investigation?

It's taken a while but I finally got written confirmation from FWC that divers are allowed to knife fish in close proximity to a designated fishing pier.

This is the exact wording used in their correspondence:

Harvesting a fish with merely a knife directly in your hand is not spearfishing, but is spearing. As such, it does not fall under the spearfishing regulation of being prohibited within 100 yards of a fishing pier.

I have been assured that this opinion is supported by the Law Enforcement Division of the FWC as well.

I hope that this clears up the question of legality of the activities shown in the flounder video.

Did they address the "under the water" part?

Water temp this morning was 75F. Nice to be back in the water at BHB. Very fishy today. Saw several octos, rays, some sh's, batfish, a huge gurnard...and an oranges colored filefish...looked like a mix between a filefish and a lookdown.

we didn't have a camera today, just cruised around enjoying the sites.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom