The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have we heard anything else about the investigation?

It's taken a while but I finally got written confirmation from FWC that divers are allowed to knife fish in close proximity to a designated fishing pier.

This is the exact wording used in their correspondence:

Harvesting a fish with merely a knife directly in your hand is not spearfishing, but is spearing. As such, it does not fall under the spearfishing regulation of being prohibited within 100 yards of a fishing pier.

I have been assured that this opinion is supported by the Law Enforcement Division of the FWC as well.

I hope that this clears up the question of legality of the activities shown in the flounder video.[/QU

Your catch looks undersized in the video--minimum size for a Flounder is 12 inches. This is according to the FL Saltwater Recreational Fishing Regulations valid from Jan 1,11--June 30,11.
From reading the regs, what you did is most like Gigging, Is that correct?

Great day at bhb today. Vis was amazing: I've never seen it so good (at lease south of the west span, sediment was present near the channel wall and under the pilings). Saw a bunch of interesting things today.

Seahorse
seahorse_bhb_april_2_2011.JPG

seahorse_3_bhb_april_2_2011.JPG

caribbean sea spider: I've been seeing these frequently as of late. I estimate I saw 6 or 7 today
caribbean_sea_spider_bhb_april_2_2011.JPG

He's a little young to start drinking.........
angelfish_and_bottle_bhb_april_2_2011.JPG

blennies
blenny_5_bhb_april_2_201.JPG

blenny_2_at_bhb_april_2_2011.JPG

blenny_3_bhb_april_2_2011.JPG

One of the best two hours dives I've done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, is that an actual photograph or some pretty artwork? Friggin amazing!

Kevin

Here are some of the shots from the day.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6638wa.jpg
    IMG_6638wa.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 89
Have we heard anything else about the investigation?

It's taken a while but I finally got written confirmation from FWC that divers are allowed to knife fish in close proximity to a designated fishing pier.

This is the exact wording used in their correspondence:

Harvesting a fish with merely a knife directly in your hand is not spearfishing, but is spearing. As such, it does not fall under the spearfishing regulation of being prohibited within 100 yards of a fishing pier.

I have been assured that this opinion is supported by the Law Enforcement Division of the FWC as well.

I hope that this clears up the question of legality of the activities shown in the flounder video.[/QU

Your catch looks undersized in the video--minimum size for a Flounder is 12 inches. This is according to the FL Saltwater Recreational Fishing Regulations valid from Jan 1,11--June 30,11.
From reading the regs, what you did is most like Gigging, Is that correct?

The fish in that video looked considerably larger than 12 inches. From what FWC said the activty was spearing..

Those are some absolutely incredible photos above!

Looks like it will be a great week for diving the bridge! See you all there (well some could stay home and give us room :wink: ).

The fish in that video looked considerably larger than 12 inches. From what FWC said the activty was spearing..

Those are some absolutely incredible photos above!

Thanks

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom