The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that stinks about the bag of fish: I have had to tell out-of-town divers about the prohibition. While there is a sign on the west span, it is easy to miss. One does not intuitively know about the ban either since there are people fishing at the surface. I once saw a couple of guys from the midwest (either Illinois or Michigan: don't recall which) start to get spear guns out of their trunk and stopped to let them know that spearing was a no-no: they innocently did not know about the ban.

viz was much much better yesterday. I took my sister on a tour of the west span and fishing pier: her first dive, aside from the refresher course with Force-E a day earlier, in many years. She had done numerious beach dives in California in the past and was surprised at the proliferation of marine life at the bridge. I guess shore dives in CA have very limited viz much of the time.

Cooltech - I'd like to join you for my first BHB dive Saturday morning. I guess the Force E store is open that early for me to get a tank?

a couple of photos from dec 28th

blenny_closeup_at_bhb_dec_28_2009.JPG

batfish_closeup_at_bhb_dec_28_2--0.JPG

those are totally awesome, especially the top one!

I didn't make it this morning as something hugely important came up and, in fact, I just now finished the chore 45 minutes before deadline. So...happy new year, everyone!!!

Cooltech - I'd like to join you for my first BHB dive Saturday morning. I guess the Force E store is open that early for me to get a tank?
ForceE opens at 7 (I think)

That said, you really don't want to dive with me on Saturday. I have my plan. For 2 1/2 hours I will be in a 20 yd square shooting nudibranchs and Bumblebee Shrimp

No problem, just want to go in the water at the right place, I'll stay away from you :>), with my own camera, trying to learn macro too, can't let you be the only one getting all of the glory round here ... but there is no way I'll catch up

After reading a sentence about the BHB in a Scuba magazine, several guys from the Deep Dixie Divers Forum (myself, MrXRay, Recharge & Grouper123) decided to give it a try while we were in Lauderdale on a dive vacation. Despite an exhaustive search of the Eastern Bridge pilings, and rubble/wrecks North East of the bridge, we were unable to find a single sea horse or nudibranch. This was disappointing, but it didn't wreck our dive. We were very happy with the amount of life we encountered, and plan to revisit the BHB again when we get a chance.

A few photos from our dive on 12/29/2009:

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg