The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know some folks who talked to these people....this group claimed they were from USGS trying to catch the panther grouper...
You know, it could be that every diver could have a purpose....all those divers that have terrible bouyancy and instantly silt up the bottom....think about how great it would be to send them over to watch the collectors in action :D

Last edited:
Today was octopus day....we saw 9 of them out. They were all over the place. Shot lots of photos (a few even came out - damn that slippery macro button!) I treat seeing two or three as a big day. This morning was awesome! A couple wanted to reach for the camera lens...

I'm still stoked.

I agree about the silters though...we didn't even go near the west bridge. Too many folks on the bottom.

Still, one of my best days at the bridge!

I know some folks who talked to these people....this group claimed they were from USGS trying to catch the panther grouper...

They had Force E rental tanks on... wouldn't be too hard to narrow it down :crafty:

Tropical fish collection video from the BHB today.

YouTube - Blue Heron Bridge Tropical Collectors

The only thing they were after was the Panther grouper (unlike the 2 collectors from last week scooping up puffers etc). This fish, which doesn't belong in these waters, is probably a more voracious predatory eater than the lionfish or at least an equal threat..
Cheers from me that they are trying to protect Blue Heron/Phil Foster Parks native fish & other critters by removing something that could cause potential damage.
Deb

They had Force E rental tanks on... wouldn't be too hard to narrow it down :crafty:

Mystery solved.

My buddy and I spoke with this group. When we informed them that collecting was not allowed, the non-diver in the group gave me us her business card. She is Pamela J. Schofield, USGS Gainesville office, pschofield@usgs.gov, 352-264-3530, SESC - Ecophysiology Research.

Ms. Schofield said they were there to get the Panther Grouper and have State and County permits to collect. She then backtracked and said she had "talked to the County". I asked if they got the grouper but didn't get an answer.

It was obvious that they did not appreciate the questioning. No apologies from me though. If divers don't police each other, there won't be anything left to enjoy.

Mystery solved.

My buddy and I spoke with this group. When we informed them that collecting was not allowed, the non-diver in the group gave me us her business card. She is Pamela J. Schofield, USGS Gainesville office, pschofield@usgs.gov, 352-264-3530, SESC - Ecophysiology Research.

Ms. Schofield said they were there to get the Panther Grouper and have State and County permits to collect. She then backtracked and said she had "talked to the County". I asked if they got the grouper but didn't get an answer.

It was obvious that they did not appreciate the questioning. No apologies from me though. If divers don't police each other, there won't be anything left to enjoy.
I see no reason for us at the bridge to show any collectors, Government sanctioned included, anything but disdain. As I posted earlier, this is a time for gaggles of diver's with bad buoyancy skills to be following and watching. May the silt mayhem be with them :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom