The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
As mentioned by others corporations exist to make a profit, I could be wrong, but I do not believe there are any private companies that exist for the good of mankind.

Well, there are a few - Christian Childrens Fund Inc., Habitat For Humanity, Multiple Sclerosis Foundation Inc., NAACP, Red Cross, YMCA..........

adurso:
If it takes claiming environmental friendliness, creating and endowing educational research or anything else the organization will do what is necessary to survive and profit, there are no moral or ethical considerations that come into play.

Any organization that has no moral or ethical considerations is an organization I want to avoid.

Walter:
Well, there are a few - Christian Childrens Fund Inc., Habitat For Humanity, Multiple Sclerosis Foundation Inc., NAACP, Red Cross, YMCA..........

Any organization that has no moral or ethical considerations is an organization I want to avoid.

That is because you have an ethical standpoint. The organizations you mentioned are wonderful outfits and do a great deal of good, yet they still have salaried employees. ...

adurso:
That is because you have an ethical standpoint. The organizations you mentioned are wonderful outfits and do a great deal of good, yet they still have salaried employees. ...

Of course they do, but that isn't the point.

biscuit7:
I'm wondering if the Q&A on this would have harsher consequences than the "no snorkel" Q&A. I'm guessing yes since a snorkel (or not) doesn't impact the bottom line.
R
NO SNORKEL?????? Slowly I turned. Step by step. Inch by inch, until I could feel ................. :smash:

I just hope that some of you are old enough to get that reference. :censored: :censored: Have I just dated myself?

OFF TOPIC: As a result of one of those snorkel/no snorkel threads, I took the annyong thing off of my mask, and bought a folding pocket snorkel. I've gone on 8 dives since, and don't miss the snorkel. Nor have I needed it. If I need one, it's right there in my pocket.

adurso:
Re the cost of books: publishing a text is an expensive task. The publisher, PADI in this instance must pay printers, they are expensive, the color illustrations and boxes and all the other formatting cost extra. The market is limited, so to make a profit the unit cost must be higher than a mass market novel. The revisions are done for greater profit and to reflect changes that may occur.

So let's compare. PADI OW vs. Reef Fish Identification (which BTW is an excellent reference).

The PADI book is 250 pages printed on cheap stock with marginal quality in the prints and illustrations. Also included is a few reference items, but the price is set at $78.

The Reef Fish Identification books is over 450 pages. The print quality, bind quality, paper quality image quality of the photo's is all superior. In addition the book has over a dozen leading marine biologists contributing as well as dozens of photographers.

The Reef fish Identification book contains a LOT more information, photo's and contributors vs. the PADI OW book, and the quality of the book far surpasses ANYTHING I've ever seen PADI put out.

The markets for these two books is somewhat similar. It should be noted that since PADI publishes their books, this SHOULD provide them an advantage in costs.

So why is the Reef fish Identification book priced at HALF of the OW crew pak (retail)?

I would add that while the PADI book is almost throw away as far as useful life after one has used it, the Reef Fish ID book is invaluable, and will be kept or put on the used market at the very least.

I don't buy it, and I think PADI is becoming more like a big business when IMO they should be non-profit.

From The PADI DM manual:

What are the characteristics of a demonstration quality skill?

How do you develop demonstaration quality skills?

How do you plan a dive by "thinking through a dive?

Pages and pages of this. I can't find much information in the book. It is mindnumbing. No, I am not saying you cannot learn a lot in the class, but I am saying that the book is not a good value. Honestly, we could start a thread on how to be a divemaster and have a better book by late this evening.

just like in joining any other club.

club have rules. you disagree, leave the club.

if you use the club name then abide by the club standard.

you don't like the rules... make your own club (agency) or find one. but am sure you'd always have something to criticize if you are a critique....

otherwise... "practice give and take" you will have less stress and be a happier fellow.

enjoy scuba diving and the pleasures that comes with it.... we are not in paradise hence once in a while we would not be happy with something.

PADI has it's price ! and the materials are never intended to be stand alone resource for information. Padi materials are references , tools to help but not the main instrument. IT IS THE INSTRUCTOR..... just like what has been repeated on several threads in SB.

so does other agencies to varying degrees . ......

Christi:
First off, no need to patronize me and give me lessons in depreciation, gross profit and net profit. I have an MBA and have been running a successful dive operation for close to five years now. I am fully aware of these things...I was speaking in very general terms without going into a full course on accounting!

Second, you are off the mark with your blanket statements and assumptions about dive shops. ALL dive shops are differnet and have different policies and procedures. In my shop for example, you would NEVER, EVER have eight students taking the course together. ALL of our instruction is private. The ONLY exception to that is if a couple or a family is taking a course together and they WANT to be together in the course. In that case, the course fee is obviously adjusted.

We average about 10 certifications a month and not ALL are OW courses. I have two instructors on staff. They work as divemasters leading dives when they are not teaching.

My point here is not to argue with the PADI membership fees...I never complained about them, simply stated my experience with the logo issue and the lack of follow-through and service from PADI...this was in response to Catherines post and several questioning her claims...I posted to confirm that the same thing happened to me and another firiend of mine with a dive shop here in Cozumel. If you read my post again, you will see that I never debated the $750 and was prepared to pay it until the hurricanes came through. At that point, obviously I had other financial obligations that took priority over joining PADI for the few benefits it provides. I earn my business by word of mouth...I don't gain any benefit from PADI in that regard.

My whole point to you is that operating a dive shop is MUCH less profitable than you and many people out there believe. As I always say...I didn't get into this business for the money...I had a solid high paying career for 12 years before giving it all up. I got into this business because I LOVE what I do and I wanted to live my life happy...not wealthy, but happy. The truth is that this is a very stressful buesiness and one of the biggest frustrations is constantly having to set the record straight from all of the misinformation delivered by armchair divers. I just have to set the record straight when people start spewing off at how much dive shops make and how overpriced everything is...because it's simply not the case.

Rant off.

Never said diveshops were incredibly profitable - Overheads can take even the healthiest gross profit to a net loss in no time. My point was simply that taken the overall revenue generated from running a dive operation (in a popular resort, where your main income is teaching courses), the padi fee is only a very small fraction of your general overheads.

I don't think everything is overpriced - I mean you have pools, rent, vehicles, staff (as in accounts, drivers, marketing etc) and besides I believe in running a business to make money. If you can run a diveshop and make a million, then all credit to you. If you can't, but are still happy doing it, then that's great too.

And yeah, I know it's nigh impossible to make a big profit with diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom