The cost of scuba equipment and non-diver spouses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a really touchy subject with my fiancee. I tell her about most of the things I buy, but not all. She'll notice something like a BP/W, regulators, or a wet suit, but I just don't bother her with details when I pick up backup lights, spools, an SMB, a bottom timer, etc. The little stuff is "don't ask, don't tell." I don't make any effort to hide things. I talk to her about the big stuff, but she's still usually upset when I get it, but she gets over it in a day or so:D When things get ugly, I just remind her that I spend less on diving and gear per month than I spent on firearms and ammunition per month last year. She wants expensive china and other possessions; I want dive gear and ammo. We both have expensive tastes, but in different areas. I'm trying to get her certified before we go on our honeymoon, so maybe that will take some of the heat off.

fairbanksdiver:
I dunno man... that's a dangerous path to go down.

When she eventually finds out, she's going to demand $4500 worth of stuff too.

Remember Kobe Bryant? Lying to his woman cost him 4 million dollars.

My $.02,

-Brandon.

WORD.

I man hoe on the weekends I don't dive to cover the cost.:D Oh and the 8g's for a diamond ring has kept her happy. Just don't tell her it's cubic zirconia.:wink:

strazz:
It's a really touchy subject with my fiancee. I tell her about most of the things I buy, but not all. She'll notice something like a BP/W, regulators, or a wet suit, but I just don't bother her with details when I pick up backup lights, spools, an SMB, a bottom timer, etc. The little stuff is "don't ask, don't tell." I don't make any effort to hide things. I talk to her about the big stuff, but she's still usually upset when I get it, but she gets over it in a day or so:D When things get ugly, I just remind her that I spend less on diving and gear per month than I spent on firearms and ammunition per month last year. She wants expensive china and other possessions; I want dive gear and ammo. We both have expensive tastes, but in different areas. I'm trying to get her certified before we go on our honeymoon, so maybe that will take some of the heat off.

Yep, guns and ammo can add up a lot more money than dive gear, dive gear lasts a long time, and ammo goes up in smoke, at least you got to keep the guns.

If you don't mind her spending money as well, then figure out what she wants to buy and encourage her to do it.

When she buys that "cute" pair of 300 dollar shoes that she has been looking at, then there can be no arguement for your 300 dollar toy as well.

After having rental gear fail twice my wife told be to buy what equipment I felt I needed to ensure that I come back up alive and not to worry about the cost. In fact she helped me pick out the gear.

My wife also does not dive (or have any interest to). When I started buying equipment it caused a little bit of unrest at home do to the expense. So I opened another little savings account at another bank that she doesnt know about and put back a little bit of money every month so when I make rather large puchases she doesnt complain. Makes things much easier at home and I still can have my toys without begging for them

A Man never beggs for toys, he apologises for buying them and promise to sell them later (like when 78 yrs old):lol: :lol: :lol:

Some guys at our shop buy $20 - $40 gift certificates every once in a while so that it comes in under the radar and then they use them all to buy something big which doesn't seem as expensive.

You could also just tell her.... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom