The day I decided to get my Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I was diving in an exotic country last summer and all went bad!

There were 4 of us (owner, me, 2 other divers). The initial dive was a wall dive. The owner and I went with insta buddy. Our plan was to dive to 100' and gradually come up before we run out of bottom time.
The other 2 were to stay about 60-70' and follow "on top" of us. Everyone was aware of the plan and we all agreed to it before splashing.
Well the 1 diver decided to follow us for after we've been at dept for a few and left his buddy alone. This promoted my insta buddy to ascend and go link up with the other diver that was left alone. A few minutes later I was going to start my ascent to stay within no deco range as per the dive plan. Well my new 2nd insta buddy decided to stay at depth. I signaled up and ascended about 10 feet, thus extending my no deco limit.

Buddy was still swimming at 100'. I signaled buddy again. At this time he stood in the water column and was vertical. He was not swimming anymore, just standing there. A few second passed, looking at my computer I had about 3 min left of no deco time. I made the quick decision to go back down and shake up my buddy. Once I got there, he was blank staring at me and breading heavily. He was completely 100% passive out of it. I had about 1 min of no deco at this time. Not being sure what to do I just grabbed his arm and inflated my BP/W. He was not responsive at all. Once we hit 50' he "woke up" and started swimming again like nothing happened. He rejoined the other 2 divers that were swimming thus leaving me alone. I was so mad that I kept my distance.

We finished the dive like we planned. Once we surfaced (I was the last one out) I was furious. Buddy #2 was talking about how much of a nice dive it was, etc. I kind of lost it on him. He had 0 recollection of leaving his first buddy's side. He had a full 10-15 min blackout. Talking more and more with him I found out that he was only OW certified, has not dove in 10 years and only had 5 dives under his belt. He never been deeper than 30'. On top of that, his wife just gave birth. He would have drowned in there.

I wondered for the rest of my vacation what I missed, what could I have done better, was it too risky for me, and what else I could have done. Right after my vacation I signed up for my rescue class and completed it 3 weeks after that incident so that I was better prepared in the future. In the end my lesson learn is, I would have probably chat him up more at the beginning of the dive instead of getting to know solely my original insta buddy.

Who was meant to be your buddy? The owner or the random guy? If you were meant to be buddying with random guy why were you leaving him 30ft above you? If you were buddying with owner how come he just abandoned you and didn't take you both up with him?

There is a lot of confusion and randomness here. But it wasn't related to getting to know people. I can't understand why you all ended up having random different dive plans.

The owner was my buddy. There was 2 buddy pairs that wanted to do different things hence 2 plans. The 4th didn’t want to go deep. But yeah he left me with the other guy after the swap. I guess he assumed the other guy knew what was going on and just did a swap.

My point was, had I talked to the other guy before I would have realized that he was completely clueless and would have ascended immediately when he showed up.

This was by far the craziest dive I ever did

Talking more and more with him I found out that he was only OW certified, has not dove in 10 years and only had 5 dives under his belt. He never been deeper than 30'.

Why did the "owner" allowed that diver to dive a wall if he had only 5 dives under his belt and had not dived in the last 10 years ? Didn't he see his cert card and log book ?
There was a lot of irresponsible people here.
Besides what to do, a rescue course will teach you what to look before a dive to avoid thing like this.

Well kudos to you for recognizing the issue and fetching the inexperienced diver! Kudos to you also for taking the Rescue class...to me, the most important add on one can achieve for rec diving.

You sir can buddy with me anytime!

Why did the "owner" allowed that diver to dive a wall if he had only 5 dives under his belt and had not dived in the last 10 years ? Didn't he see his cert card and log book ?
There was a lot of irresponsible people here.
Besides what to do, a rescue course will teach you what to look before a dive to avoid thing like this.

Yep. I was wondering je same thing after. He should have done a refresher first

@flyboy08 yes I agree. I think rescue or definitly parts of that course should be mandatory to all divers!

Always watch and listen to Divers - before the dive - before the dive briefing - and when we are about to drop in. Nervous divers change. They suddenly become quiet or suddenly become talkative. They fumble with gear assembly and donning their gear. If your a confident diver - it shows. And a new diver can be intimated by you. They may not ask for help. They may not want to do a gear check. Because they don’t want to be embarrassed. I tell everybody that I dive with - we are a team. I can ask you for air/gas remaining AND you can ask me for the same. Be a buddy. You will come across ding dongs who will do whatever they want and not care about you. But you must the the better diver. Not the jerk. My two best courses I have ever taken were Rescue and even better was Intro to Cave. You change as a diver. Don’t be upset - explain why instead.

I feel that as a basic diver you should be able to bring a buddy up safely. That should be the minimum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom