The end of the lead weight era

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soldering creates fumes. That is the biggest issue.

In addition to this lead solder was used to join copper pipes used in the water supply in homes/buildings. I suspect that the constant flow of water would leech out a bit of that lead over time and potentially be consumed by people. Particularly if you were a DIYer like me and used too much solder.

I wonder if the OP knows how Lithium is being extracted and made to power his cellular phone/diving light etc etc.

go-ahead-explain-to-me-about-lithium.jpg

Great is my ignorance, Centrals. I bow down with respect for your knowledge and insight. Please regale me with your stories of lithium production and distribution so that I may become as educated as yourself.

Illegal dumping of lead/arsenic into waterways by SeaSoft

Now I personally think that the Seasoft matter was regulatory overreach, but read through the thread -- particularly some of the narrative from Seasoft about how they handle lead and the changes they are making since they got spanked by the gov't. Read through the thread and come back and tell me that they are following "strict lead exposure protocols."

Hardly regulatory overreaching, even I know not to dispose of my lead waste products down the drain (I take them to the household hazardous waste day at the dump). Anyways they didn't follow procedures and got properly fined for it.

If the weights are coated, I'd suggest zinc (7.14 g/cm3). Zinc is priced about the same as lead.

You do know that zinc, too, is toxic?

I found it rather funny when I learned that zink was marketed as an alternative to lead birdshot.

Durable, non-toxic, easily molded, soft, very high density: I use platinum. I was thinking gold but it is less dense and more expensive. Platinum is quite economical, about the same price per pound as a Shearwater Teric.

I think that'll be my new unit of measurement... When I get on the boat and the crew asks how much weight I need to dive with an AL80 and 3mm wetsuit, my answer will be "about 32T or 40T ... that's measured in Terics, of course".

Or more inert. Without O2 there is almost no chemical interaction - unless there is (really??) an undiscovered organism that lives off of Pb with no oxidative posibility.
Indeed, there's not going to be oxidation to speak of. Undiscovered organisms, if they exist (and why not fantasize?) would have to be pretty rare and inconsequential or we'd likely have discovered them.

I was thinking more acidity issues. With some heavy metals, concerns occur down the road when the muck is disturbed to (e.g.) build a marina. But I suppose that means once it's in the muck, it's locked up for a bit.

You do know that zinc, too, is toxic?

I found it rather funny when I learned that zink was marketed as an alternative to lead birdshot.
Depends on the amount. Unlike lead, zinc is one of the essential elements.

Unlike lead, zinc is one of the essential elements.
As Cu, Fe, Mn, Mo, Ni, and Co. I still try to avoid ingesting excessive amounts (and for some of those elements, "excessive" is a very, very small number). There's a limit below which where Pb is basically harmless. And there's a level above which where e.g. Cu becomes very toxic.

Sola dosis facit venenum
- Paracelsus

Back
Top Bottom