The end of the lead weight era

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Cu, Fe, Mn, Mo, Ni, and Co. I still try to avoid ingesting excessive amounts (and for some of those elements, "excessive" is a very, very small number). There's a limit below which where Pb is basically harmless. And there's a level above which where e.g. Cu becomes very toxic.

Sola dosis facit venenum
- Paracelsus
CDC - Lead - New Blood Lead Level Information

Yes, and?

That paper is about where we draw the line. There's always some lead - or any other substance in our environment. If you look hard enough, you will always find some amount of lead - or any other substance - in anyone's blood. The question isn't whether or not there's lead there (hint: there is. Always), but which level can be regarded as harmless.

If the light is just right, you see a puff of something come off of lead shot bags when they are handled and or dropped.

Anyone know exactly what that is. It’s not salt, because we don’t use lead shot bags offshore.

Yes, and?

That paper is about where we draw the line. There's always some lead - or any other substance in our environment. If you look hard enough, you will always find some amount of lead - or any other substance - in anyone's blood. The question isn't whether or not there's lead there (hint: there is. Always), but which level can be regarded as harmless.

The second sentence reads:

"No safe blood lead level in children has been identified. "

We all have our opinions and here is one more. It is harmful if ingested beyond that it is moot. the rivers of tears regarding tire weights because of a what if. You can not stop all hazzards. I read that water is harmful and it can be proven by pumping 1 quart of greater of water up the backside of a field mouse. lead banned in tire weights because they fall off and the rain washes them into the ocean. or water ways. I have never lost a tire weight...... I dare anyone to try to wash a tire weight to a new location with a garden hose let alone a rain. Or for that matter the grindings from tire weights that slide on the pavements. I have never had a bag of softlead come apart. do i believe that lead shot is bad for hunting YES, I have eaten meals and had to spit out the shot from squirels and foul. short of that I view it as equal to the california ban on straws to save the environent. Reports say the US contribute .2 or .02% of plastics in the worlds waters. Makes you have to ask who the other 99.8% are AND WHERE are the videos of the oceans of plastic filled waters located at? Is the level of US problems warrent gong down that path. Yet look at the legal complications that are invoked in cali on wait staff. Anyone notice how the Ozone has grown again since we have not had volcano eruptions like in the 80-90s. But we were told it was from cars.?????? Told by who, THE STRAW PEOPLE??????
I could not find a photo of a tire weight being washed down, but maybe you can make the mental connection looking at the pictures of boulders or while cars; it’s in a Texas newspaper for added credibility;-). Photos: Boulders and debris challenge rescue crews after rain triggers California mudslides | Photos | Dallas News

There's always some lead - or any other substance in our environment. If you look hard enough, you will always find some amount of lead - or any other substance - in anyone's blood. The question isn't whether or not there's lead there (hint: there is. Always), but which level can be regarded as harmless.

mostly_harmless boat.jpg

As Cu, Fe, Mn, Mo, Ni, and Co. I still try to avoid ingesting excessive amounts (and for some of those elements, "excessive" is a very, very small number). There's a limit below which where Pb is basically harmless. And there's a level above which where e.g. Cu becomes very toxic.

Sola dosis facit venenum
- Paracelsus
Thank you, C.O. This must be really hard on you, to avoid ingesting excessive amounts of zinc? After all, the bureaucrats in Washington never banned the use of galvanized (that is, zinc-plated) nails and sheet metal in housing construction.

Thank you, C.O. This must be really hard on you, to avoid ingesting excessive amounts of zinc? After all, the bureaucrats in Washington never banned the use of galvanized (that is, zinc-plated) nails and sheet metal in housing construction.
What are you talking about? What is your point?

What are you talking about? What is your point?
Well, I tried to imagine how one can "avoid ingesting excessive amounts of zinc [and also Cu, Fe, Mo, Mn, Ni and Co]". By not biting galvanized nails? By not using copper cooking pots? By not sucking nickels and dimes? Avoiding molybdenum must be espesially hard, it is everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom