The Fin Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm diving Hollis F1's at the moment and love them I'd probably recommend getting something a little lighter and more flexible to start off with.

No matter what fins you buy now I guarantee you will have at least 3 pairs in the next year (if your diving regularly) as you find what suits you and your diving.

My 2 cents on splits is that they offer no real advantage to me but may do for someone with less strength in their kick.

Some split fins are too "sloppy" to give goo propulsion while others are great. I use a large split fin as it reduces leg fatigue and cramps for us over 60 crowd. As a younger person, consider a streamlined semi-stiff fin like the old blades or their equivalent. shop around. Most makes will come in blue so you can get your color.
DivemasterDennnis

Exactly, people talk about split fins as if they are all the same. The Apollos, Atomics, and Scubapros seem to be better than some of the other makes. Personally, I would buy a used pair off of ebay to make sure they are what you want.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2014 at 08:05 PM ----------

To the OP: Scuba gear is interesting. There is a lot of very good equipment that isn't particularly attractive, and there is a lot of attractive equipment that isn't very good. Buying on aesthetics is rarely advisable, unless you know a good deal about the other qualities of the item you are purchasing.

This is one of the best pieces of advice you will ever receive about scuba diving and probably other hobbies as well. It is like the old adage that fishing lures are not designed to catch fish but rather catch fisherman. After all fish have no money but fishermen do.

I They also say that splits stir up silt more.

Fins don't kick up silt... divers do.

It's funny how the "serious" divers crowd kept harping about solid fins, yet one of my dearest friend, NAUI course director, shop owner, one time military diver/commercial diver/salvage diver, who had been diving Scubapro Jet Fins (black, of course) for the last thirty years had decided to go with split fins (Atomic split fins). He even went with a pair of neon yellow split fins at that.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2014 at 04:45 AM ----------

Fins don't kick up silt... divers do.

So true. :dork2:

If you kick up silt while using solid fins, then you're wrong. Learn how to kick with your fins.

If you kick up silt while using split fins, then you're wrong. Learn how to kick with your fins.

Don't blame the equipment for operator's headspace and timing.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2014 at 04:46 AM ----------

Exactly, people talk about split fins as if they are all the same. The Apollos, Atomics, and Scubapros seem to be better than some of the other makes .

The same goes for solid fins as well. I'm willing to bet that there are more variations of solid fins than split fins, and they all claim to outperform the other brands and models.

For your guy to go to the splits, my guess is that either his fitness level has dropped to the point that his kick has a fraction of the power he once had in his Military days...or, that he has pain from old injuries that is lessened by the much softer splits ---and by a kick stroke that does not require any form of optimal kick shape---meaning if there is a motion that does not hurt arthritic or inflamed knees, then this motion could be used with the splits.....They are still tobagans rather than snow skis...and I want Racing Snow Skiis, not mediocre performing ones...... I would also argue that I could teach a non-skier to be a good skier better/faster, with them using Racing Skiis if they are athletic and well coordinated.

file:///Users/fabian/Desktop/MaresAvantiSuperChannelYellow.jpg

When I first started diving, I bought myself an open-heeled Mares Avanti Superchannel which proved excellent underwater. Gave me a lot of thrust with one kick. During a strong underwater current event - I remember being suspended by doing light kicks on a wreck dive, while most of the other divers were hanging onto rocks or the ship. However, I didn't like the plastic design and it's clearly not to be used near the surface (or snorkelling). My finning style was not that great at the time - so I do got light leg aches.

file:///Users/fabian/Desktop/img10282614183.jpeg

Then, while on vacation - I tried out these lesser known fin by Gull - The Mew (supplied by the dive company). Looks basic and meh. But the thrust and power it gave was really the best that I had so far! It was a full foot design with rubber built. Really changed my perception of how fins differ from another. And made me a believer on full foot fins - extra leg power delivery. I bought myself a set and has been my choice whenever I go out for an open sea dive. Fought current and choppy waters with it. Heavy on land (because of the rubber built) but awesome as it gets wet. Negatively buoyant and a bit long, so sometimes I found myself touching the coral with the fin tip as I hover above it while taking pictures.

file:///Users/fabian/Desktop/d8256bb6-eb9e-4e7f-85bc-d8b100a56a9f-twin_jet_fins_adj.png

This year I moved outside the country and was unable to bring The Mew due to luggage weight restriction (in fact, the only dive equipment that I left behind. Sob :(). So I had to get myself a new set of fins then. Due to the love of all things SCUBAPRO here (the shop) - I decided to try split fins for a change and got myself the Twin Jet Fins. Have been using it for months now and I must say that while it is the floppiest fin I ever tried - it is also the easiest and relaxing fin ever for me! The effort is almost non existent. In water - where the rubber weight is negated, it feels like not using anything. Floppy here refers to the ridiculous flex that it gave when you flip your knees hard. It feels like the whole fin is bending away. Performance? ACTUALLY NOT THAT BAD EITHER! I love it when photographing - because I can make minute position adjustments. Even with strong currents, it performs well. The other day when my friend was testing the Twin Jen Fins - she hardly felt the effort of moving forward (while me and another diver was hanging onto rocks - damn that current was strong! While I had cramps using her paddle fin - I am spoilt by splits!). Yesterday, I was able to move around the boat and swim towards it on the surface while waiting for other divers to board - also in a strong current situation. The negative? The Jet Fins is really diver dependent and kicking style dependent. It can be powerless to being extra useful. Definitely (maybe) what I'll be using as I get older when my knees are giving away.

file:///Users/fabian/Desktop/410313_volo_20race_20yl.jpg

Right now, I am waiting for my Mares Volo Race full foot to arrive!

Here's my take on fins:
- Thrust is important - but not to move fast. It helps a lot when swimming against current (underwater or surface). You might not treasure it until you need it. Many times a powerful fin helps me to get to the boat when the sea turn unpredictable.
- Colour is important! Neon colours helps you to locate buddy or divers during bad visibility or differentiate you among the many divers (where everyone is a SCUBA Ninja!) Count in night dives too. Trust me buddy separation happens even extra precaution taken. A slithering glimpse of a bright object underwater might be the happiest view to you. Haha...
- Rubber fins are heavy. But that weight is negated underwater. They gave good flex without being rigid. Tougher too. Less confidence with plastic.
- Fins type is dependent on finning style to get the most out of it. Have an open mind when a newly tried fins doesn't work with your present kicking style. It has a hidden potential to be unlocked.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2014 at 09:03 AM ----------

Opps... sorry for the broken image links!

haha...

Split fins usually cost more money and provide less maneuverability. You dive much like an airplane flies. Paddle fins like Jet fins and Turtle fins usually cost less money and give you more maneuverability. You can dive like a helicopter flies by moving forward, backward, and rotating on an axis.

^ indeed.

have V12's and learned a mean frog kick. I have no need to go out and spend even more money to dive in wrecks or on silty bottom locations.

I want to find Nemo. :). Once I get comfortable with it all, photography will be my big thing.

If photography is the end game, then back kicking will be an essential skill. Handy for when you find yourself a little too close to the creature you wish to photograph.

A fin with a wide and rigid sidewall will be ideal for back kicking; because the sidewall is the surface area used to generate the reverse thrust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom