The Fin Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ARDory

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Although, my classes do not start till March, I am a little OCD and have to prepare before hand. My boyfriend told me he would buy me some new fins for my class as long as I didn't get the split fin. Well, guess which ones I like? Of course, the split fins. So, any advice or comments, suggestions on which style fin would benefit a new diver?

So...if you decided you like the split fin, he won't buy them? Buy them yourself. What else does he dictate to you?

The Jet Fin crowd will be here in a few minutes to tell you that you're going to die. Behind them will be the BPW crowd and the DIR/GUE crowd.

Get what you are comfortable with, it really doesn't matter all that much.

My suggestion is get a mask and snorkel and try a couple different fins in a pool somewhere. Your local dive shop may have both the gear and the pool for you to use in trying a few out.

You'll find a lot of love for batfins and jetfins on scubaboard. You'll also find hatred for splits.

The Jet Fin crowd will be here in a few minutes to tell you that you're going to die. Behind them will be the BPW crowd and the DIR/GUE crowd.

Really?? The non-split fin crowd will show up to tell you that you will have an easier time learning the precise positioning, non-silting, kicks popular with tech divers and photographers if you go with a stiffer fin. Nobody that I know of has ever said "you're going to die". (That's reserved for untrained divers who venture into a cave breathing air to 233'.)

Last edited:
Well, guess which ones I like? Of course, the split fins.

Just wondering, how did you decide which ones you like if you class hasn't started yet? Did you actually swim in the split fins and compare your ability to maneuver and control your swimming? Or are they 'prettier'?

People seem to have pretty strong feelings about split fins... But they definitely work for some divers.

If you used them and you like them best, buy them yourself. Your boyfriend doesn't get to dictate your gear choices.

I've used his fins just messing around at the lake, and yes you are correct, I do need to try them out first, but I do like the way they look, I prefer blue ones. But, seriously, I do want a pair that will work for me, I was just curious what the big difference is in them.

I've used his fins just messing around at the lake, and yes you are correct, I do need to try them out first, but I do like the way they look, I prefer blue ones. But, seriously, I do want a pair that will work for me, I was just curious what the big difference is in them.

See if you can find someone who has split fins (or if the shop has a trial pair), as much as they invite argument on this board they have to work pretty differently- so I'd want to try them before spending the money. You might love them :)

And keep in mind, most gear comes in multiple colors, my husband and I have the same fins but his are gray and mine are pink. If your dive shop doesn't have blue in stock, see if they can order them in other styles.

Thanks, I'll check into borrowing a pair and checking them out. If they work differently for different kinds of dives I might want a pair of both.

I may get flamed for this but IMO splits (which I use exclusively) are a bit easier to fin with, easier on the knees, (mostly) have a good power ratio. They say there are some kicks (frog kick, etc) that are more difficult, or even impossible to do with splits. I can attest that frog kicks are more difficult. They also say that splits stir up silt more. In my case, that also may be true. I use them because I mostly do flutter kicks or modified (with the ankle) flutter kicks and they are more relaxing (for me). Follow the advice above and make up your own mind. I've found that some of those leaving negative comments may never have given the splits a fair chance, simply spouting what some "expert" says or their opinion from looking at the fins, but not trying them.

Get what ever fins you want because you will never really know what you like until you have some dives under your belt. Besides it is probably going to take quite some time before you can even appreciate or notice the differences in a fin anyways. So after some time and and bunch of dives you will finally know what you expect out of a fins performance and by then you will probably want a new set of fin anyways. Get what ever makes you happy at this moment.

Back
Top Bottom