The Fin Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although, my classes do not start till March, I am a little OCD and have to prepare before hand. My boyfriend told me he would buy me some new fins for my class as long as I didn't get the split fin. Well, guess which ones I like? Of course, the split fins. So, any advice or comments, suggestions on which style fin would benefit a new diver?

One of the key reasons new divers "like" split fins so much, is that they really don't require any or much instruction to move around with them....they are much more like a Toboggan, rather than like Snow Skis ( jets/force fins/freedive fins--each of these has an optimal kick shape and coordination for getting a specific thrust to get you what you want....)...With split fins, almost any kind of kick shape will get the fins to move you forward...the problem is, the precision is none existant ( like the toboggan), and the ability to do things like reverse kicks and other skills you really ought to have, is stolen from you if you go the path of the split fins...
[video=youtube_share;2VEthluthE4]http://youtu.be/2VEthluthE4[/video]

Now the flip side...is that you have a boyfriend that would seem to be a good mentor, and an instructor, and both can help you learn to ski....I mean help you learn the proper kick shapes.....While 95% of all ow divers DO NOT learn how to ski/kick properly--but just go sloppily down the ski hill and claim this is how they enjoy it....there is a better way, it can easily be taught by the right people, and YOU should get this for YOU :)

My recommendation for big reefs is freedive fins, and for wrecks it is Force Fin.
Both come in models that are either soft, medium or stiffer--this tieing in with the athleticism and strength of the diver.....for a competitive cyclist, the stiffest freedive fins, or the stiffest force fins, are not stiff at all--actually they feel very soft and responsive--but to this same person, the soft version of the fin would feel like "useless spaghetti noodles"--so the responsiveness would be seriously impaired....this goes to the ABSOLUTE NEED you have to DEMO THE FINS you are interested in, and that you DEMAND to try any fin for an hour or so prior to deciding to buy it....and each different fin will likely need you to learn the optimal coordination for using it in a manner that showcases how good this fin could be for you....

Even if your local dive shop does not have demo fins....( they should!!), they DO HAVE customers that own the fins you want to try--and if the people in the shop are good people, they will have a relationship with their customers that will allow you to borrow a pair of each fin you want to try--and to use them for an hour or so.....

P.S.
****Note**** if the diver in this video was wearing freedive fins....such as DiveR ( composite blades amog the best in the world...think Lamborghini or Ferrari of fins)...with freedive fins on this diver in the video would NOT be able to go anywhere...he would be making so many mistakes the fins would not drive him forward.

Technically, the Agencies should teach a propulsion class PRIOR to putting each diver in tanks.....they should all be kicking the flutter and frogkick, with perfection, before they get a tank on their back.

Buy your own fins. Then you can choose what you like. The best equipment is equipment that your trust and know how to use.

Remember, SCUBA diving is not a competitive sport. Be safe, be happy, have fun.

Just say "NO" to split fins! If you really believe you are going to get into diving in a big way, don't go with the split fins. You won't be sorry. I' not a jetfin fan or whatever the other espoused negators were supposed to be. I'm just a diver and my reasons for being against split fins are manifold. Yes, learn how to fin properly, but consider that as you develop, you'll find yourself frog kicking far more often than straight leg kicking and that is at least one significant reason to get yourself a non-split fin.

Fins are a very personal choice, dependent upon factors previously mentioned (and not mentioned): stiffness, split or not, color, fit, full foot or straps, price, and my favorite, buoyancy. Some fins (like ScubaPro Jets) are heavy and negatively buoyant, helping a diver with "floaty feet" trim out (swim mostly horizontal) more easily. A buoyant fin would exacerbate floaty feet. BTW, women tend to have floaty feet more than men.

Try a number of different fins and judge for yourself. As you progress in diving your preferences may change as well.

Although, my classes do not start till March, I am a little OCD and have to prepare before hand. My boyfriend told me he would buy me some new fins for my class as long as I didn't get the split fin. Well, guess which ones I like? Of course, the split fins. So, any advice or comments, suggestions on which style fin would benefit a new diver?

You need a new boyfriend! After 45 years of being married to the same woman, I would recommend he get you what you want, and then later, if you change your mind and follow his advice, he can say "I told you so"--or not.

I read somewhere that yellow fins worked better than any others... or was it blue, no maybe red, or perhaps black.... :rofl3:

Really? Your decision as to which fin is best for you is based only on the color (not having tried any different models)? Store owner has got to love you....

For general reef and wreck diving with my own gear I dive splits (my original fins). Easy on my old knees. I like relaxing low stress dives. If I found myself diving dry and carrying more weight and dealing with more current or having longer surface swims I would go to something stiffer. Stiffer also is better if you are in a situation where you might have to drag somebody to the surface from a greater depth and some related tasks. I have a newer pair for winter diving with more neoprene and more weight and they are not split.

But them I am not an equipment junky. While traveling I often rent whatever the shop/guide throws on my feet. Some are split. Some are not. They all seem to work ok for me.

I do prefer bright yellow for my own fins. But then I am frequently lead and it helps other divers keep track of me.

There are a couple boats that I dive on that have fins on ladders which is my preference especially on bouncy days. Grab ladder and climb on. I have not personally done so but I would think that the longer free diver fins could be a bit more trouble in such a situation.

I'm thinking if that's what I really want and can dive with them safely and enjoy it, he wouldn't mind buying them. He just doesn't think I will enjoy them in the long run. He's usually right about other stuff, so I guess I might as well just listen and OBEY him this time. :wink:

This is probably the best fin for the OP, based on interests expressed so far.
Force Fin Pro Force Fin
proforce282.jpg

As to frog kicking with them... http://youtu.be/rQvpQHvui28
If you wanted Frog kicking to be your most important kick, then the Extra Force , or the Excellerating Force Fin would be the choice--because they were designed to be optimal with frog kick as well as the flutter kick and all others.....the basic Force fin, pictured above, is optimized for the kicking needs of the vast majority of divers....and most divers have not even learned the frog kick. As I said, you can frog kick with the basic one as well, but a cave diver or tech diver that uses this as primary propulsion, would like the frog kicking with the Extra Force or Excellerating Force better.
Compared to the split fins, you have a sad or funny joke, depending on your perspective. There is no comparison, the Force Fins are everything that the Splits are supposed to be, but are not :)

[video=youtube_share;7Zr9s2LFFMQ]http://youtu.be/7Zr9s2LFFMQ[/video]
Overview of WHY these are the best fin for you

Last edited:
If you like split fins then by all means get split fins.

I dive splits and despite Scubaboard posts you can do flutter, dolphin, and yes, even frog kicks with them. I've been drift diving in currents and they did just fine. I don't dive quarries or caves so I generally don't have to worry about silt. They are easy on the ankles and knees for older divers with aches and pains.

My daughter dives a pair of Aeris Makos. Very good fins for very good price. They are actually much lighter and travel better than my heavier and longer splits.

Dive what you like, not because of what others say. It's like wine, we all have our own individual tastes and personal preferences.

Back
Top Bottom