The General Angst Over the PADI eLearning Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfw:
No one said it was for everyone. What I found interesting at this year's forum is that the ones who typically bash PADI had no objections, but the people who are usually the most enthusiastic PADI cheerleaders were the ones who had a problem.
I am, for the most part, a "PADI basher." it stems from listening to Navy divers talk about how unsafe PADI standards were (unreasonable bias, I know) but that has nothing to do with my aversion to e-learning. I realize the e-learning thing is PADI's right now, but others will certainly pick up on it. Myself, I'd rather get my instruction from a conventional classroom environment rather than from a CD. I have to say though, I think the main benefit from this will be as a refresher tool. I would rather have had a cd course to review this winter than my Basic open water text when I was froze out of the water.

I think the new e-learning is a great idea, gives people one more option for learning and is in no way any different than current home study programs, just a different form of delivery. Its also NOT a replacement for current programs, its just an "in addition to" method. I'm sure it will bring people into diving that might not do it otherwise.
Re: Independent Instructors. I was one once and totally understood then that I was operating at a disadvantage to diveshops. A shop has a lot more to offer a student and a customer than an independent. PADI may not support an independent, but they do allow them. Of the top 3 agencies, PADI #1, SSI #2, SDI #3, only PADI allows you to be an independent as SSI & SDI require you to be affiliated with a shop. As a shop owner, I pay for the right to membership in the IRRA and its benefits. I'd be pissed if they were giving these rights to others who didn't pay for them.
I've taught for a number of years and watched others teach and in my experience, diving is taught in the water. I've seen students that had no problem with academics, but couldn't cut it in the water and quit. In the water is where the real repoir and trust between student and teacher is built, not in the classroom. Its also been my experience that for the vast majority of people, time restraints are the biggest obstacle to learning to dive. We as people have less and less leisure time these days. If we can give a way to shorten class time, thereby allowing more time to be spent where the actual learning is happening, this is a good thing!

Scuba Cowboy:
Of the top 3 agencies, PADI #1, SSI #2, SDI #3 ...
Where'd you get those rankings? AFAIK - NAUI is the second largest agency ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scuba Cowboy:
Of the top 3 agencies, PADI #1, SSI #2, SDI #3, only PADI allows you to be an independent as SSI & SDI require you to be affiliated with a shop.
How are you defining “TOP” so that NAUI, an agency that strongly supports independents is not in the top three?
Scuba Cowboy:
I've taught for a number of years and watched others teach and in my experience, diving is taught in the water. I've seen students that had no problem with academics, but couldn't cut it in the water and quit.
I disagree strongly, it is my experience that diving is taught both in the classroom and in the water.
Scuba Cowboy:
In the water is where the real repoir and trust between student and teacher is built, not in the classroom.
Teachers who know how create rapport and trust in the classroom as well as the water, it you don’t you’re missing a good bet.
Scuba Cowboy:
Its also been my experience that for the vast majority of people, time restraints are the biggest obstacle to learning to dive. We as people have less and less leisure time these days. If we can give a way to shorten class time, thereby allowing more time to be spent where the actual learning is happening, this is a good thing!
My experience runs complete counter to yours, time restraints are a function of your target audience, we typically had 100 students vying for 20 slots despite our significant time demands and people understood the difference between an 18 hr quickie and a 100 hour course to sit on the waiting list for four months till the next class. Now if your overall concern is being able to churn out students like McDonald's turns it tables

Thalassamania:
My experience runs complete counter to yours, time restraints are a function of your target audience, we typically had 100 students vying for 20 slots despite our significant time demands and people understood the difference between an 18 hr quickie and a 100 hour course to sit on the waiting list for four months till the next class. Now if your overall concern is being able to churn out students like McDonald's turns it tables

Let's talk about time restraints. I had to let two seasons go by before I could squeeze in my OW classes. I still got to class late because of my work schedule. I for one would have no problem with having access to an e-course with one classroom day and then follow that up with the dive days.

all4scuba05:
Let's talk about time restraints. I had to let two seasons go by before I could squeeze in my OW classes. I still got to class late because of my work schedule. I for one would have no problem with having access to an e-course with one classroom day and then follow that up with the dive days.
Then you reduce yuor menu choices to a hamburger with fries, no organic haute cuisine on that menu. If that satisfies your needs go for it, but know just what you're getting and what the alternatives are.

Thalassamania, I think it would be good to also clarify that what you are talking about (based on your course outline presented in a different thread) is clearly NOT an OW course, and therefore the differences between the course you offer and an OW course are largely irrelevant.

It's sort of like comparing apples to a picnic. And sometimes, people just want an apple.

kari

Thalassamania:
How are you defining “TOP” so that NAUI, an agency that strongly supports independents is not in the top three?
He may be defining "TOP" as the agencies that turn out the most divers with the least amount of training. By this definition you would have to include SDI. They don't even teach tables. I think even PADI is still doing that.

Thehasslemania,
Some folks consider Nursing classes to be the equilvalent of Med School. Others find it as easy as Math 101. Don't know about you but I found OW class to be, as Maverick said, "Just a walk in the park"
You should try not to assume that everyone needs to be face to face with the instructor in order to learn something. It's not rocket science to me and I did say one classroom day with the instructor before getting wet.

all4nobrainscuba05,

I hope you eat your burgers well done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom