The Grand Traverse in Peacock Springs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realize you'd finished full cave. Congrats!

That brings up an interesting question, John. WIll a NAUI Cave 1 cert allow this type of dive? The answer could put a stop to this pretty quickly.

I went up the peanut line today to the end, just past the restriction which is just 300-400 feet shy of half way. I am sure that I have enough air to do it, but I want to stay within standards.

Back in the 80's Orange Grove to Peacock was our standard New Years eve dive. Way to old for that kind of diving now.

That brings up an interesting question, John. WIll a NAUI Cave 1 cert allow this type of dive? The answer could put a stop to this pretty quickly.

I went up the peanut line today to the end, just past the restriction which is just 300-400 feet shy of half way. I am sure that I have enough air to do it, but I want to stay within standards.

I'm not familiar with the NAUI standards. I always equated Cave 1 to NACD Intro. Under Intro, it would be outside of standards because it involves complex navigation.

I can't comment on NAUI.

I have friends who just completed NAUI Cave 1, and they tell me they are not allowed to do traverses.

What this means is, you'll have to be careful not to surface at Challenge. Peanut to Olson line is one jump, the gap at Challenge will be your second allowed navigational decision.

If you want to see daylight at Orange Grove you'll have to lose your buddy and search for him but remember you cannot surface, as that would be a traverse.

To keep it safe, you'll have to turn at the end of the line at Orange Grove. I call this the "Grand Traverse and Grand Reverse."

I prefer to do the GTGR as a double stage, because as we all know, thirds is wildly un-conservative in a low/no flow cave, even though I could do it as a single stage and perhaps on a really good day, backgas only.

I'm not really sure why the limits prohibit a traverse. Seems to me to add only the same complexity as a jump.

It's a really fun dive, though!

CD- Naui 1 is basically equal to Apprentice, but not really. It's closer to Apprentice than Intro, as it allows thirds and two navigational decisions and one restriction (as best as I understand).

I don't think any agencies allow traverses until full cave/cave 2. Maybe we can do it by the end of next year?

The Grand Traverse is one dive I am really looking forward to,.... eventually. For all the dives I have in P1, I have yet to do my first dive in Orange Grove.

Peter,One of my final dives in my full cave course was going up the Peanut line, through the restriction to the end of the line, then the long swim back. It was actually a very relaxing dive (as much as I could relax during that course). It was very interesting to see how much the cave changed characteristics as we swam down it.

I have friends who just completed NAUI Cave 1, and they tell me they are not allowed to do traverses.

What this means is, you'll have to be careful not to surface at Challenge. Peanut to Olson line is one jump, the gap at Challenge will be your second allowed navigational decision.

If you want to see daylight at Orange Grove you'll have to lose your buddy and search for him but remember you cannot surface, as that would be a traverse.

To keep it safe, you'll have to turn at the end of the line at Orange Grove. I call this the "Grand Traverse and Grand Reverse."

I prefer to do the GTGR as a double stage, because as we all know, thirds is wildly un-conservative in a low/no flow cave, even though I could do it as a single stage and perhaps on a really good day, backgas only.

I'm not really sure why the limits prohibit a traverse. Seems to me to add only the same complexity as a jump.

It's a really fun dive, though!

CD- Naui 1 is basically equal to Apprentice, but not really. It's closer to Apprentice than Intro, as it allows thirds and two navigational decisions and one restriction (as best as I understand).

Sounds like you have to push a lot of rules to make this happen. We already had one fatality at Peacock which involved someone who went outside their training. Goal oriented dives ie grand traverse,well casing etc,are goals that deserve progressive penetration and done right. These dives will still be here tomorrow and next year,so rushing it really isn't worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom