The Grand Traverse in Peacock Springs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to me the dive I suggested is well within the limits of training.

I only point it out tongue in cheek to point out how the "no traverses at all" rule doesn't necessarily make sense.

I of course do not condone divers pushing their training limits in any way shape or form. Peacock will be around for a while and I don't want anyone to die.

I don't get that either, Jah, Jah. I have been to Olsen, Cistine, Waterhole and back. All were done within thirds and there were at least two jumps going to Cistine and Olsen. I haven't been to challenge yet, but that's on my list next. When are you next there? :D

I think the prohibition on traverses referrers to the type where you swim in from once side and set it all up, then swim in from the other side. Popping up in a sinkhole you come across is a little different (be sure to run a line to the surface w/ you, though. Its easy to get turned around).

That said, if you have to ask if you're ready/ able to do a certain dive, you probably aren't. The fact that the question even came up of "is this allowed by standards" shows me its best to hold off a bit.

I'm not understanding something here ... aren't you supposed to verify both sides of a traverse first?

I've done Orange Grove to Challenge (really like that dive, BTW), and Peacock to Challenge (nice, but kinda boring at points) ... but skipped the traverse because by then I'd rubbed a blister on my big toe that just didn't want me to be in the water that long.

Seems like it really needs to be two dives ... and then another "cleanup dive" at whichever end you started the traverse from.

Am I missing something?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That said, if you have to ask if you're ready/ able to do a certain dive, you probably aren't.
Shenanigans... I didn't ask.

I'm not understanding something here ... aren't you supposed to verify both sides of a traverse first?
Of course. Why wouldn't you?
Seems like it really needs to be two dives ... and then probably another "cleanup dive" to get your reel at whichever end you started the traverse from.

Am I missing something?
That's how I see it.

Shenanigans... I didn't ask.

... you asked if anyone else was interested ... that sounds to me like you're looking for a dive buddy.

If I was down there, I would be. Perhaps in May ... if I have the time after SM class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... you asked if anyone else was interested ... that sounds to me like you're looking for a dive buddy.
Bingo... all my possible buddies are teaching cave and cavern through the end of the year. :D My biggest problem is finding people who can dive during the week.
If I was down there, I would be. Perhaps in May ... if I have the time after SM class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks Bob! I am diivng side mount as well.

That brings up an interesting question, John. WIll a NAUI Cave 1 cert allow this type of dive? The answer could put a stop to this pretty quickly.

I went up the peanut line today to the end, just past the restriction which is just 300-400 feet shy of half way. I am sure that I have enough air to do it, but I want to stay within standards.

oh...

There is no need to "verify" this traverse. It's shallow. With a single stage I have no issues reaching one side from the other before hitting thirds. Unless you want to do visual jumps, you will need to do a cleanup dive, which is why I like to do it both ways in one dive. Surface for 15 minutes then turn around and swim back. As I said, with a single 80 and high pressure 120's it's not a problem, but I like to do it with two 80's. The last time I did it as a double stage, I exited after swimming both ways, or over 8000 feet of cave, slightly under my turn pressure on each bottle. I prefer to carry extra gas in no flow caves because thirds in a no flow system is almost suicidally dangerous :wink:

Of course, if you can't reach one side from the other before hitting thirds, then you'll need to drop a cookie and come at it from the other side.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom