The graveyard at Jocassee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's a crying shame that someone has no more respect for that cemetery than to try to take that headstone. It's been upright for close to 40 years - not likely that all of a sudden it shifted and fell over. People need to realize that what's under that lake is sacred to a lot of us - especially to my friend whose relative is Silas Hinkle. She was sad enough to know that someone had put a skeleton on top of his tombstone; I don't ever intend to let her know that it has been knocked over. That's why I'm glad that Attakulla Lodge is in 300 feet of water - at least the sheer depth will do a lot to protect it from divers who would go down and start ripping off siding.

yea really. those types of people are the kind that would steal flowers off of graves. dispicable!

yea 20' is an understatement. id say 30-40, the very bottom of the junk is at 40', and the 1st keg off the wall is at 70'.
I don't think it is that low. The Graveyard is usually 135' (if you stay off the bottom), my last dive was 115'. The base of the junk is usually a little over 60', my last dive there was 42'.

I'm not experienced enough working with lift bags of that size to do it myself, but I'd be happy to help someone (who also has deco training) try to right it.

Be careful there Mr Doubles! I don't want to hear about you getting hurt! If you do decide to help move it back in place, you might consider talking to someone who makes grave markers and get an idea of how much a stone that size weighs.

Don't forget to add a little extra deco since you will be doing a lot of physical work and task loading. There was a fella that got a pretty good case of the bends out at Jocassee this summer. I have also been told that since Jocassee sits so high above sea level that you need to take that into account when planning deco. Do you know anything about that? and how that figures in to the plan?

Be careful there Mr Doubles! I don't want to hear about you getting hurt! If you do decide to help move it back in place, you might consider talking to someone who makes grave markers and get an idea of how much a stone that size weighs.

Don't forget to add a little extra deco since you will be doing a lot of physical work and task loading.
I always do plenty of deco :wink:
I have also been told that since Jocassee sits so high above sea level that you need to take that into account when planning deco. Do you know anything about that? and how that figures in to the plan?
Jocassee just barely makes it into the definition of an altitude dive. Dive tables assume that you will be diving at sea level and thus the ambient pressure will be 1 atmosphere. At altitude the ambient is less. Most (if not all) dive computers automatically correct for altitude. I set V-planner to 1100ft when cutting schedules at Jocassee. The variances are small, so I doubt that forgetting to correct for altitude would get you bent, especially at +2.

A typical Graveyard plan for the current lake levels:

V-Planner 3.81 by Ross Hemingway,
VPM code by Erik C. Baker.

Decompression model: VPM - B

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 1 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 120ft (2) Nitrox 30 50ft/min descent.
Level 120ft 37:36 (40) Nitrox 30 1.39 ppO2, 103ft ead
Asc to 40ft (42) Nitrox 30 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 40ft 1:20 (44) Nitrox 30 0.66 ppO2, 32ft ead
Stop at 30ft 5:00 (49) Nitrox 30 0.57 ppO2, 23ft ead
Stop at 20ft 4:00 (53) Oxygen 1.60 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 10ft 7:00 (60) Oxygen 1.30 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (60) Oxygen -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 73.9ft

"Corrected" for altitude :wink::

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 1 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 1,100ft (c)
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 120ft (2) Nitrox 30 50ft/min descent.
Level 120ft 37:36 (40) Nitrox 30 1.38 ppO2, 101ft ead
Asc to 40ft (42) Nitrox 30 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 40ft 1:20 (44) Nitrox 30 0.65 ppO2, 31ft ead
Stop at 30ft 5:00 (49) Nitrox 30 0.56 ppO2, 22ft ead
Stop at 20ft 4:00 (53) Oxygen 1.57 ppO2, 0ft ead
Stop at 10ft 7:00 (60) Oxygen 1.26 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (60) Oxygen -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 74.3ft

OTU's this dive: 84
CNS Total: 34.6%

bet that first platform at the boat ramp is almost out of the water.... :shakehead:
It was in 8'-10' of water on Sunday.

not to mention a LONG walk to get to the water lol
I used a single tank for the 1st time since Bonaire this weekend to avoid the long walk in doubles. :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom