The graveyard at Jocassee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Home Page Debbie is the expert on all thing Jocassee. She spent her summers at the Attakula Lodge which now rests in 300' of water. She has dive footage of the logde on her site and has also written a book about Jocassee. Her family lived there for 3 or 4 generations before the valley was flooded and they were the largest single land owners before the propery was taken to build the dam and lake.

Check out her site and shoot her an email if you have any questions. She loves talking about the valley both then and now.

we think that is what some1 was doing was trying to raise it with liftbags.

Well as far as I know it wasn't someone connected to the family. The lady who would like the stone raised had a very long conversation with a good friend of mine and said she just didn't have the money or know who could do it for her. So if someone was messing around with stone they were doing that on their own.

The ground can shift to and make things topple. My Uncle cares for a family cemetary that is over 300 years old where some of our family has been laid to rest. I was us there a couple of weeks ago and many of the markers were off their bases and a lot of graves have sunk in and need to be topped off with dirt. The next time I am over in TN, I plan to spend the afternoon doing some repair work.

So it might just be the ground settled just right and made it fall over. With the lake down so far, I wonder if it has due to pressure changes made the ground shift on the bottom of Jocassee?

So it might just be the ground settled just right and made it fall over. With the lake down so far, I wonder if it has due to pressure changes made the ground shift on the bottom of Jocassee?
My guess is that with the extremely low lake levels the dive is a bit more accessible to the larger diving community. With the much higher traffic on the site, someone probably knocked it over. It's a real shame.

I'm not experienced enough working with lift bags of that size to do it myself, but I'd be happy to help someone (who also has deco training) try to right it.

yea 20' is an understatement. id say 30-40, the very bottom of the junk is at 40', and the 1st keg off the wall is at 70'. i dont think the ground shifting caused it to fall from the way it is sitting in the silt someone was trying to move it. its standing, not toppled over. just moved off the base

that's a crying shame that someone has no more respect for that cemetery than to try to take that headstone. It's been upright for close to 40 years - not likely that all of a sudden it shifted and fell over. People need to realize that what's under that lake is sacred to a lot of us - especially to my friend whose relative is Silas Hinkle. She was sad enough to know that someone had put a skeleton on top of his tombstone; I don't ever intend to let her know that it has been knocked over. That's why I'm glad that Attakulla Lodge is in 300 feet of water - at least the sheer depth will do a lot to protect it from divers who would go down and start ripping off siding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom