The graveyard at Jocassee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff, when you do a plan on v-planner or other software, are you able to input things like work load or a swim in strong current that would put more stress on your body or does that not really matter in planning the deco? I assume the higher work load would go into your gas plan as you might be breathing harder, but would it affect the deco schedule?

At full pond or near full pond, I thought the first platform was in 40' and the second in 60'.

Can you guys see the old one that is orange and off the the left of the ramp with the steel base?

If it gets much more shallow the heads of the Bones Family are going to be sticking out of water! If the Duke Power site is corrent and it is down 27' since they sit at 40' to the bottom and Fisher Bones stands about 6' tall on the tree he is tied too and would be in 13' of water. Well if it drops another 8' or so his head will be just out of the water.

Anyone know what the lowest the lake has been since it was made?

diving was good though so it was worth it.
When I got there, Oconee County had a MK5 hard hat diver in the water walking on the bottom stirring up the vis. :(

Jeff, when you do a plan on v-planner or other software, are you able to input things like work load or a swim in strong current that would put more stress on your body or does that not really matter in planning the deco? I assume the higher work load would go into your gas plan as you might be breathing harder, but would it affect the deco schedule?
I'm not aware of any inputs on V-planner or similar deco software.

There are some studies about exercise at depth and its affect on deco. Take a look here for more info.

A safety conscious diver would allow for increased workload, and pad the shallow stops a bit.

When I got there, Oconee County had a MK5 hard hat diver in the water walking on the bottom stirring up the vis. :(

yea they were there when i was too. i laid out diving with the class off the ramp, got in 3 other awesome dives on the graveyard and off the wall though. vis at the junk kinda sucked too, but it wasnt that bad, maybe 10ft or so

Anyone seen the latest issue of SCUBA DIVING ? There is an article on Alex Kirkbride, an English underwater photographer - great photo of the Mt. Carmel Cemetery in Lake Jocassee!! PM me if you want a scan of it.

Pretty cool that we were talking about Silas' head stone and then in the mail box yesterday the lastest issue of Scuba Diving Mag with a picture of it on page 77. That is a nice shot. I would love to dive in that location on the bottom right corner. That looks like a very cool place.

By the way, thank you Scuba Toys for my complimentary subscription! I have really enjoyed it!

Where exactly is this? Excuse me for being clueless on this one.

Oscar

Lake Jocassee is in the northwest corner of South Carolina. This is the cemetery that was in "Deliverance." The valley was flooded in 1971.

Back
Top Bottom