The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went from renting primarily the Sherwood Avid (jacket-style) to owning the Seaquest Raider (back inflate).
I've logged only 7 or so dives in my Raider, but I'm getting used to it. I do prefer it over the jacket-style. I find it makes surface swims far more comfortable & lessens the drag by keeping your torso out of the water.

After using rental gear, always jacket style BCs, for some time, I decided to get my own gear. Against the recommendation of my LDS, I got a back-inflate BC (Scubapro Ladyhawk). I absolutely love it! It took me a few seconds to get used to it, the first time out of the boat, but quickly adjusted, and never had the face-in-the-water problems that I'd heard so much about.

Undewater, it is a dream. The fit is marvelous. The best part is that I don't notice it, at all, unlike the jackets that were always crushing me, pulling up, and generally making their presence very much felt.

I'm about your size, and a size small was a perfect fit.

Have fun shopping for your BC!

Definitely try different ones, especially under water. I loved my cheap and simple jacket BC and swore I'd never need another. When someone loaned me his back plate/wings, I just had the have one. It was so comfortable (unrestricting) and easy to hover (something I always struggled with before).

I went from a jacket style to a back inflate and LOVE it... Like everyone has said before... try one out before you buy it... You'll either love it or hate it... all personal taste...
whatever you do... buy what works best for you!

Good Luck!

My "Ask RSD" column of the Jan/Feb 2000 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine carried the following:

"Back inflated BCs contain air bladders or cells toward the back, rather than toward the front of the torso as in jacket style BCs. This design is more common in high end, technical diving BCs rather than in the generally less sturdy, lighter weight, simpler and less expensive jacket style BCs favored by many warm water recreational divers, although several manufactures do offer back inflated "sport" models. As with all dive gear, you should purchase that BC which fits your diving situation, safety and comfort needs, and budget. Comparing back inflated BCs to jacket style BCs:

Pros: (1) Float the diver in a more hydrodynamic position underwater; horizontal with head just slightly higher than feet; (2) Can offer far greater lift capacity, a decided plus for divers who wear lots of weight to submerge, or use large, multiple or heavy cylinders; (3) Many have interchangeable air cells so that you can alter lift capacity to meet changing dive situations; (4) Eliminate the chest squeeze which some find uncomfortable and which can contribute to diver panic; (5) Clear the chest area allowing freer movement and easier access to gear; (6) More often offer a weight integration option with those attendant advantages when used correctly; and (7) Tend to better fit larger physiques and those of unusual proportion.

Cons: (1) Tend to force the face into the water when floating on the surface; (2) Tend to be heavier and have hard pack cylinder mounting plates, making carrying and packing more difficult; (3) Can be a little more difficult to vent; (4) Absence of appreciable chest squeeze can make achieving neutral buoyancy a little more difficult, especially initially; and (4) Can cost from somewhat less to a very great deal more.

Of the cons, having one's head pushed toward the water while on surface understandably causes the most distress to divers, especially those who have not tried or had much experience with back inflated BCs. There are actually a number of ways of dealing with this, possibly the simplest being not overinflating the BC and flipping over and swimming on one's back when on the surface. This has the additional advantage of providing a better field of view and placing the fins in a more effective kicking position. One can also add weights to the rear pockets, cylinder, ankles and other locations, as well as make certain adjustments to the ride of the BC, to compensate for this forward push.

Among high quality back inflated BCs are the DiveRite Transpac, Halcyon, Zeagle Ranger/Tech/Concept, Sea Quest Balance, Oceanic Chute, Aqua Lung Alcyone, Scubapro SeaHawk/Falcon and OMS models.

The BC is a very important piece of gear, and a good one is a substantial investment. After carefully determining your needs and desires, you should research available models to see which best fit your situation, and then actually try out as many as possible."

Hope this gets you started.

DocVikingo

Here is RSD's Apr '03 review on Best BCs for Women:

"MARES DRAGONFLY ARIEL
PRICE: $499.
STYLE: Jacket with back-buoyancy.
WEIGHT-INTEGRATED Yes.
COMMENTS: Test divers loved the comfort and fit afforded by the new Dragonfly Ariel's lumbar padding and special shoulder swivel buckles, which vastly improve strap routing. Its hybrid design--traditional jacket with an expandable rear bladder--contributes to a stable ride both on the surface and at depth. The responsive power inflator is ergonomically designed to fit in a woman's hand, with buttons positioned so you can find them when you need them.

The only downside here is the complexity of the integrated weight release. Mares' Mechanical Release System (MRS) requires you to push a button, pull the handles out and away to clear the locking nub, then extract the weight pouches. Whew."

Happy shopping.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
My "Ask RSD" column of the Jan/Feb 2000 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine carried the following:

" ...
Pros: (1) Float the diver in a more hydrodynamic position underwater; horizontal with head just slightly higher than feet; (2) Can offer far greater lift capacity, a decided plus for divers who wear lots of weight to submerge, or use large, multiple or heavy cylinders; (3) Many have interchangeable air cells so that you can alter lift capacity to meet changing dive situations; (4) Eliminate the chest squeeze which some find uncomfortable and which can contribute to diver panic; (5) Clear the chest area allowing freer movement and easier access to gear; (6) More often offer a weight integration option with those attendant advantages when used correctly; and (7) Tend to better fit larger physiques and those of unusual proportion.

Cons: (1) Tend to force the face into the water when floating on the surface; (2) Tend to be heavier and have hard pack cylinder mounting plates, making carrying and packing more difficult; (3) Can be a little more difficult to vent; (4) Absence of appreciable chest squeeze can make achieving neutral buoyancy a little more difficult, especially initially; and (4) Can cost from somewhat less to a very great deal more.

Of the cons, having one's head pushed toward the water while on surface understandably causes the most distress to divers, especially those who have not tried or had much experience with back inflated BCs. There are actually a number of ways of dealing with this, possibly the simplest being not overinflating the BC and flipping over and swimming on one's back when on the surface. This has the additional advantage of providing a better field of view and placing the fins in a more effective kicking position. One can also add weights to the rear pockets, cylinder, ankles and other locations, as well as make certain adjustments to the ride of the BC, to compensate for this forward push.

The BC is a very important piece of gear, and a good one is a substantial investment. After carefully determining your needs and desires, you should research available models to see which best fit your situation, and then actually try out as many as possible."

DocVikingo

While I might quibble with you about the pros and cons of back inflated BC's, I would like to point out that much of the distress on the surface with back plates and back inflated units can be remedied with a crotch strap, especially for those of us who are waistful.

While your suggestion to inflate the back unit and swim on one's back often works well, if the waist straps can and do slip up under the armpits, it's a struggle on the surface in any position. I've been diving a back plate and back inflated unit for years and learned the hard way that a long wait in rough seas for a pickup with the waist straps under one's arms isn't a comfortable experience.

I've had only limited personal experience with jackets, but from watching other divers on the surface in jackets, the side panels seem to limit the extent to which the BC rides up.

Definitely try a back-inflate. My LDS gave me one to try and after 1 dive, I was sold! I have a Zeagle and it's not specifically for a woman but it's very adjustable.

Diverlady

Started with a TUSA jacket, then switched to a Zeagle Zena back-inflate. LOVE my Zena .. it comes in three seperate parts that can be ordered in different sizes (vest, back & shoulders) to better fit your body. In my case being short & busty, I bought it with small shoulders, medium back, large vest. It also zips up the front - so no velcro to stick to your wetsuit. You just zip up - then snug your waist & hip straps for a perfect fit. Zena is made for women, but alot of wonem like the regular Zeagles as well .....

I like being able to swim upside down and look at the surface, stand up and hover to look around. I don't like being stuck swimming horizontal all the time because there is so much other cool stuff to see than what's on the bottom, so I like the jacket style. I just bought a Seaquest Diva LX with I have yet to try in open water, but it looks to be a combination of jacket and back inflated BC. I have noticed in the pool that the Diva really sits you out of the water on the surface very comfortably with no worries of being face down.

Back
Top Bottom