The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also concerned about the 'face down' tendencies of backinflate BC's. My concern was based SOLELY on what I read here and not from experience. My first time out with a BP/Wings I never once felt that I was being pushed forward - I didn't have it fully inflated so that may be the reason as was stated above.

The jacket-style BC's are restrictive and when completely deflated tended to fit loosely around me - I could feel the tank shifting around during manuevers. The back-inflate is definitely more comfortable and gives a better fit IMO.

Hey A.J. ... up late, aren't we? :)

This is a subjective question and depends on what you feel is most comfortable and functional for you and your diving needs. My personal experience is that jacket BCD's tend to suffocate you when inflated - I honestly felt out of breath on one surface swim because I had the thing over-inflated (doh! ... 1st OW cert dive) but felt MUCH better after descending (air out of BC). But once at depth with most of the air out of my BC and with the compression of the wetsuit I found the jacket BCD to fit a bit loose. Sudden stops or quick change in directions resulting in the tank shifting. I suppose I could have made the BC tighter, but then I can't imagine what it would feel like when inflated on the surface!

The BP/wings suited me MUCH better - inflating/deflating the wing doesn't effect how the system fits you. And I've never had a problem with the 'face-down' attitude with the BP/wings - I suppose if you over inflate it could be a problem but I found it very easy on the surface. Jacket BCD's don't have this tendency since air cell encompasses you around the waist. At depth I found the back-inflate much easier to control my bouyancy with only minor adjustments ... perhaps because there is less air trapped in the bladder? I'm not sure.

The best thing to do would be to try them and see which you prefer.

HTH
Paul

A. J. Shark once bubbled...
just wondering the advantages and the disadvantages of a back vs. a jacket inflated BC??

It all boils down to personal prefrence. I prefer a jacket design (Scubapro Classic) because I work with students and on the surface I feel have to struggle more with a wings or back inflation design. I also prefer a flow through air cell. If you are looking into purchasing one go to your local dive shop and I am sure they will be happy to let you try both types.

Backs are better for tech diving, but are more expensive. They also help you glide through the water and makes iteasier to be in the "swim position". Also it makes you feel unencumbered underwater, due to the fact that theres no bladders to encase you, like jacket style BC's. Also, all are weight integrated, and have many nice features and steel rings. However if your not planning on tech diving, go with thew jacket style, much easier to use and cheaper.

thank you all for the helpfull post, I am going to ask my LDS if I can try out a back inflated ( I have a jacket) and use it and see if I like it better
thanks again :)
- A J

SSIdiver02 once bubbled...
Backs are better for tech diving, but are more expensive. They also help you glide through the water and makes iteasier to be in the "swim position". Also it makes you feel unencumbered underwater, due to the fact that theres no bladders to encase you, like jacket style BC's. Also, all are weight integrated, and have many nice features and steel rings. However if your not planning on tech diving, go with thew jacket style, much easier to use and cheaper.
i dont know about the validity of your post... back inflation is not more expensive than jacket style BCDs. the seaquest balance is not more expensive than the ProQD+. is the Scubapro nighthawk more expensive than the SP Classic? NO.
the change in mindset should come from the fact that back-inflation is not only for tech diving. techies use BP/wings because that is what they feel is best for them. but you can use BI or BP/wings for rec diving too. dont be fooled by marketing.
not all BI or BP/wings are weight-integrated. where did u come up with that one??? first u say with BI its easier to go into "swim position" then at the end of your post u say "jacket style, much easier to use ". u are contradicting yourself.
u may want to change your sig (with all the "cerifications") as people may read it and take your advice because they think you know your stuff. but clearly your points about price and ease of use are WAY off the mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom