The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ferrara,

It would be interesting to see a comparison of retail prices from various regions of the world. Based on feedback I've heard from other folks, there is a big discrepency in price between US retail and Europe retail for example....and I'm not just talking about on-line vs. bricks-and-mortar shops here. Not sure why this is -- perhaps "minimum retail price" as set by the mfr. differs from region to region......

Perhaps it is this type of descrepency that contributes to the development of on-line "gray markets"....when I worked for a large consumer goods mfr., we would see this type of thing all the time with our products (larger retailers would buy stuff in 1 region and then ship it elsewhere to take advantage of these types of price inquities).

-LD

I bet the current numbers of Divers buying on-line today will be nothing to the numbers buying on line in the next decade,

Maybe you could do the poll again in 1 years time and note the increase/current trend?

Aquamore

Yes, that really would be interesting. But it would also be interesting to compare the number of LDS's now versus a year from now as well.

Or maybe the manufactures realize that Americans will be able to and are willing to pay more. Of course they will blame it on currency exchange or cost of shipping.

My quess is the cost of manufacture of regs and BC are really quite low. The regs are similiar to medical and manufacturing equipment and probably use the same parts. I also believe BC are mostly made in 3RD world countries with very reduced wages. I know most of the ones I've looked at were assembled in Mexico.

Go for it, let me know if I can help!?

Maybe we could make some predictions?

Cheers
Aquamore:idea:

........over here they usually blame higher pricing on
1) the change to the Euro
2) September 11th
3) currency exchange costs

:(
Aquamore

So.....how about an informal poll.

Let's take 2 relatively common items:
- Suunto Vyper wrist mount computer
- Apeks TX-100 regulator (no octo)

How much would your LDS charge for these (pre-negotiation)?

For me (Boston):
TX-100 = $600
Vyper = $475

Would like to see some answers from other countries.....

Shop Owners:

So is it at least worth a try to ask the shops to lower their price at least somewhat on a specific item that you can purchase from an online source at such a reduced price?

In other words, would you recommend that we ask the shop to at least split the difference between the costs?

Or is that just going to hurt the relationship?

I know you can only speak for yourselves but I would like to know how you feel about it. I'm considering doing this at my LDS.
It is on a BC.

I understand inventory costs and overhead costs. But I have inventory and overhead at my home too and need to spend money wisely, as well as have a desire to support my LDS.

What a dilemma!!!

sea nmf,

I certainly would not want to speak for your shop. Speaking for us, we are always willing to put together a package price. For regular, customers we try to always do something. I just waved the fee on an Ice diving class for one customer. We gave several other people really good prices on some new Zeagle regs they purchased for a Advanced Nitrox class they’re doing with us. When I say good I mean around $400.00 for a DS4. Not Internet maybe, but the best I can do. However none of these people asked for anything. We wish to continue doing business with them and we try to show it.

If you ask for something off you might get it. Based on the online prices I’ve been seeing I could never split the difference and make anything at all. I hope you believe me because I am not even exaggerating a little bit. If I asked you to take a 90% pay cut in your job would you say yes?

largediver says:
So.....how about an informal poll.

Let's take 2 relatively common items:
- Suunto Vyper wrist mount computer
- Apeks TX-100 regulator (no octo)

How much would your LDS charge for these (pre-negotiation)?

For me (Boston):
TX-100 = $600
Vyper = $475

Would like to see some answers from other countries.....

MSRPs in Japan:
Apeks TX-100 Y128,000 = $960-$1050 depending on exchange rate
Suunto Vyper Y98,000 = $735 - $816 depending on exchange rate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom