The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DISCLAIMER: First off, I am in no way associated with DiveINN.com but I had to share this. I hope no one finds it inappropriate, but we're here to share information with each other to make SCUBA more fun and gear purchasing easier. My goal is tp help people in their tough decision on where to buy gear.

In the war between online vendors and the brick and mortar LDS, at least one online vendor has chalked up a win where most fail miserably: customer service.

My dad bought me a reg setup from DiveINN.com for christmas (2 months ago!). To make a long story short it wasn't going to work for me (it was not defective in any way, just not what I needed). Yesterday I contacted DiveINN about exchanging. Today I had an RMA number waiting for me in my Inbox this morning. I have sent my reg back and should be recieving my Apeks TX-40 + TX-40 Octo within a week! :bounce:

Why is this significant? One of the main reasons people (including myself) choose to pay the prices of a brick and mortar shop is because dealing with issues like this is easier. It's good to see that this is not always so anymore. This was an item purchased by someone other than me, 2 months past their typical return policy and oh did I mention the reg I returned is out of production? Yup, they took it back anyways. AND they are on another continent!

I'm sure I will be happy with my new Apeks. Of course, I realize the other side of the coin is that I might not have had this problem had I made the purchase at a shop to begin with, but I did save some good money this way. It's good to know that there are people on the other side of those HTML voids.

Ok, I'm done.

I also just spent some serious money at my LDS on a wetsuit and BC. Those are things you want to try on and make sure you like em. A webpage just doesn't cut it for that.

*sigh*.. NOW im done. :bonk:

when your local shop closes because evetyone is buying their gear online ,where are you going to get your air fills? I'd rather pay a little more to keep my local shop in business.

I have found the original posting to be more accurate. I can order 2 or 3 of any wetsuit or whatnot, try them on at home at my leisure with no pressure, and then return the ones that do not fit. My LDSs want a guarenteed purchase if I order special items they do not have in stock. I just add the price of shipping in with the product. It is usually a great deal and the equipment I buy is such good quality the warranty issue is not really there.

Heck, EE will even let me try the gear out for 30 days and return it no questions asked, I am just in it for the shipping.

I keep hearing the air fill argument, maybe it has merit, but we live in a (most of the time) free market country. The shops will have to compete or go out of business. Nothing will change that.

Hey, it could lead to a cheaper way to give gas fills, and dive shops that concentrate on giving excellent training as opposed to trying to walk the fine line of certification and selling gear.

If there is a demand, there will be a supplier, that is the way it works.

Tommy

This issue was beaten to death in the forum, even lately.

I would guess that there is no golden rule. You just have to take it on a case by case basis.

In any case, good service is important and deserves mentioning.

Ari =-)

Originally posted by AllenG
Your observation re offering that value of consultation without any charge, only to have the customer go off and purchase the item from an Internet vendor. This raises an interesting question for our merry group, perhaps worthy of its own thread:

After doing your research/seeking consultation through a LDS, do you then make the purchase at the LDS or do you use an Internet-based or telephone-based vendor?

I personally think that if you seek the expertise of your LDS on an item, then you should purchase it from said LDS. If you do independant research online, then by it online.

I think it borders on abomination to take advantage of an LDS by checking things out in the well-lit shops and using their expertise and then going elsewhere for the purchase. What a slap in the face! I think that the overhead of keeping a shop going can't stand up long to that form of debauchery.

Tx100 in Aus: Around $1300 AUD rrp ($650 US)

However, by ringing around the LDS, I got tx100 + tx40 octo for $940 AUD ($480 US).

Interestingly, the LDS I'd prefer to give the business to would not match the price, even when I took a written quote in...

That to me means that they would have made NO money on the deal at that price. Surely, even if they were going to make $50 by matching the price they'd do it? It was a no brain sale, I'd just bought a BC from them, needed to buy regs, had the money in my hand and had decided independantly that I was getting the TX100.

All they had to do was take the cash, and hand over the box, yet they refused.
How could the other LDS afford to sell to me at that price then?

Mike

Until a few days ago, i refused to buy online.

Certified in 1986 and just now in 2002 i bought equipment online.

I dont make alot of $ and couldnt afford the LDS price for the same item so i go to Halcyon or DIVEINN. LDS charges way to much. I havent been treated that well by LDS in the past and i like the idea of having another means to get what i need for a reasonable price. i still pay for air and mix there but i get 50% of my gear online now.

Andy

Recently had a long discussion with one of the instructors at shop I was certified with. It is up for sale, this is great as I might actually go to it again with a new owner. He also says they are trying to become more customer friendly. I believe the industry needs a lot more of this, the guys that don't give the customers what they want will die or be swallowed by those that do.

Ed B

These were the guys that had 30-40 people in a class.

I mainly just check prices on-line. I have a very good LDS that will meet the price on most on-line stores for me. Besides I think that it is best to try things on when ever possible first.

Back
Top Bottom