The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Online has almost become a requirement since I moved to Santa Fe from Northern California. Closest dive shop is nearly 70 miles away in Albuquerque.

Still, something about being able to talk to a human . . .

Most online sellers will let you return the product if it doesnt fit. I buy most online because of the price. If I had to pay LDS prices, I couldnt afford dive.

Mark

Just casted my vote. Bought 50% at my LDS and 50% online. That's probably fair for all parties involved. If I would have bought 100% online I would have probably saved about $1000.00 or more for both me and my future wife.

Could use that $1000.00 about now.

waterdogs

I started off buying online because the salespeople at the LDS always quoted me full retail on everything, and it didn't occur to me that they would be flexible in their prices. That was mask, fins, snorkel, boots, and gloves for my ow class. After the class, he started giving us discounts, and I have bought my wetsuit, bc, reg, and computer from him. I showed him the best prices I could find online for the gear, and he came down almost to their levels. I don't mind paying a "little" extra to support my LDS. So, now I only buy online if it's something small that I want right away. (I'm still waiting on my UK Light Cannon, ordered from the shop three weeks ago.)

Lucky us, nowadays one can buy almost anything online.
If you know what you are looking for it is an excellent option.

I have seen many items at great prices at leisurepro, diveinn and similar (inlcuding shipment, taxes they are still great prices).

Used items? ebay. I got there exceptional deals, everything came
in superb condition and fast.

Best thing is to try the item before buying. If possible, lend from friends. After the decision is made go to the net.
Sometimes just mentioning the LDS that you're heading to the web and he'll try to meet the same price, or at least make a reasonable offer (so even if you buy from him, you still benefit from the web).

BTW, the web is also a great place for gear reviews. How many friends can you ask how's his "X" regulator? Here you'll find them by the scores.

I'm brand new to diving (in the OW class now) and am looking to buy 3 sets of gear - mine and 2 sons. The LDS is an excellent facillity and has outstanding service but EVERYTHING is MSRP. They are not interested in dealing.

I feel compelled to support the store to have that type of resource available but after looking at on-line prices there is no way I will buy everything from them.

I have already gotten mask, fins, weights etc. and will probably get Regulators from them but wetsuits, lights, computer will come from on-line stores. I have not made up my mind on the BCs.

The ScubaBoard is a great resource for us newbies - :confused:

THANKS!
NetPro

I agree with you NetPro, and here's my opinion on your BC issue:

Recommendation:
As painful as it will be to write out the check, buy it at your LDS.

Reason:
You'll want to try lots of them on to be sure you get a good fit. You can read about them all you want, but you really have to try them all on. There can be a huge difference in feel between BC's, and in my opinion... if you have to try it on, it's only fair to buy there.

I will buy lots of stuff online, (computers, accessories, etc) but not a BC I am unfamilliar with.

Whew! There, got that typed out finally!

by saying I do not own, have ownership, shares or anything financially to do with a Dive shop........I have bought items online and thru e-bay, but I would suggest that you purchase all large ticket items thru your LDS......without them ...try getting your air and nitrox online :( ........Just a thought..............:confused:

No longer none - just ordered a bottom timer and whilst I was there a pair of gloves from DiveInn.

As people may have seen on another thread my LDS only had an imperial one and for that wanted to charge 25,000 yen (or about $190) so fortune must have been shining as grand total from DiveInn $82 including shipping - I won't even mind if customs get hold of me as surely they can't ask for 130% duty.....

Happy shopping
Jonathan

but sometimes you can't beat a good deal on-line or through an auction. If I do buy online/auction it is only if I have got to feel it in the LDS first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom