The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh yeah i forgot

Let me add to my original post, I also had my tanks Hydro'd there just a couple of weeks ago. When i got them back they told me an air fill was not included.

99% of the shops here give you a fill after a VIP or Hydro, once again i got screwed.

NO i didnt get my tanks filled there! i took them else where.

Andy

Nope, sure wouldn't... HOWEVER... I'd love to dive at the Mall???? just to say I had... :D

It's pretty sad that all of the messages on this board are bad mouthing dive shops. But I cant blame you for what you say about them, if my dive shop did that to their costumers I'd be saying the exact same thing. If you find a good dive shop I believe you should support it, shoping at a dive shop instead of off of the internet will let you actually talk to people who have worked on the product and can tell you how they compare to the other stuff on the market. If you don't then they'll all go away and you'll be in an impersonal huge scuba warehouse or buying stuff you can't tryout first on the web. For all you people who put up complaints, those dive shops deserve to go away.

-Jieh-

I have decided that I will spend my dive money at the place that has the best value for myself.. I don;t consider saving 50 bucks on a item a good deal if I have to put up with a A%^$ in the sales department.

I have to admit that I have a pretty good lds here. That is, if you consider that the 40min drive is the closest to me. That aside, they treat me pretty fairly.

this held true at the lds where I re-certified after an absence. They didn't try to sell me anything. They gave me a good price on anything I bought and stood behind it with service.

I've run across some real low-life types in the business and unfortunately they stay around.

I would however, like to check out on-line sales. Anybody have any suggestions in Canada? I've fortunately been lucky with the lds and never had to go elsewhere.

Some of the gems I've encountered:

- one well-known shop which advertises lowest prices (without actually guaranteeing them) wanted an extra $500.00 for a drysuit. When mentioning the best quote I'd received, the manager relayed that the owner said I should buy one for him at that price.

- one shop wouldn't come down from full MSRP on ScubaPro gear on full packages for two divers. :rolleyes:

- another tried to convince us we'd need nitrox-specific gear for recreational nitrox.

- while asking about gear packages, one dive shop owner's face visibly fell when he learned we were already certified (Warning sign #1).

Then he tried to convince me that the BC I wanted (which he didn't have in stock) was the exact same as a Brand X BC he just happened to have. "In fact, sir, they're made by the same manufacturer. They just slap a different label on it. Here, try it on!"

One teensy little problem, though: The one I wanted was a back-inflation; the one he offered was a jacket style. (Giant flashing warning sign #2)

So by the time he finally got around to pricing the package exactly the way we wanted it, we knew we were in for a treat. He was a mere $700.00 more than the shop we'd just visited. :rolleyes:

Any wonder why I don't sing the praises of the LDS?

As if it weren't bad enough having to listen to the usual lame diveshop garbage every single time (New Padi specialty: Drysuit Pocket Pool! Spare-Air Trimix! Cozumel package featuring No-Name Airways, Cattle-Boat Divers, & the luxurious Hotel Cucaracha!).......:rolleyes:

I can't say that the shops are any better over here, a local shop may ask as much as £65 for a mask that is on sale at Dive Inn at £23, the competative ones may ask £40. I have seen dive shops go out of business and I go in some shops and see staff standing around, so I know the operating cost must be high.
For the most part I want to see and try equipment for size, exchange things that are not suitable, have someone with good knowledge and experience for advice, technicians who can service and repair your equipment and measure you for a suit. I want a local dive shop. I belong to an diving organisation that has over 8000 members, maybe one day someone will have the sense to start a co-operative.:D

Originally posted by budgy

1. For the most part I want to see and try equipment for size,
2. exchange things that are not suitable
3. have someone with good knowledge and experience for advice,
4. technicians who can service and repair your equipment and
5. measure you for a suit. I want a local dive shop.
1. That's definitely a consideration, especially when you're talking about a newbie who doesn't know his/her sizes. Once you're familiar with those, though, the only crucial thing you might need in-person fitting for is a mask, or a new brand of wetsuit.

2. Done easily enough through the mail as well. I just sent back some improper valves for exchange at no cost to myself.

3. That's what these boards and the DIR sites are for! :)

4. The LDSs tend to ship things off for repairs or service, at least in my experience. I have found some great reg techs in primary dive destinations, but unfortunately I don't live in those areas. If it's going to be sent off anyway, why not handle it myself?

5. Go to a local tailor/clothier/alterations shop and have it done by professionals for a nominal charge. That's my approach on a customized drysuit.

I wish I had a good LDS, but I'm better off this way, it seems.

Diverl - are you from Edmonton?

i'm curious as to what you're talking about. Which dive ship does this? I know for a fact at least one of the shops wasw trying to gouge us. Can you please PM me and let me know, or even post it here.

Thanks,

DArryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom