The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why buy online?
1. You know exactly what you want.
2. You can save money.
3. It's convenient.

Why buy locally?
1. You need to have something fitted or try it out.
2. You want advice on the gear in local situations.
3. You want to support your LDS.
4. You want to build a relationship with the LDS.

Is one better than the other? Probably.
Is it easy to justify the reasons? Not really.

This will take time. Most local dive shops are in some sort of transition period where they need to adjust the business practices to accomodate for a loss of sales due to a variety of circumstances. Internet shops are thriving right now and don't have near the expense of a brick and mortar dive shop and therefore can even make less of a profit and still survive.

Would I have an attitude if I ownd a dive shop? Yes, probably.
Would I try and compete with online prices? To a certain extent.

You have to understand both types of shopping before deciding where to buy your gear. The long-term effects may surprise you or even haunt you further down the road. Does that mean you shouldn't buy online? No, but I wouldn't base your decision on price alone. If you don't like your shop, don't shop there. If you need to save some money, go ahead and buy online if you really need to.

I have a good relationship with my LDS and I know exactly what I can get everything for online and I think about it very hard at the cash register... I always think, "Man, this would have been a lot less had I ordered it online." But this always happens about the same time they say, "Thank you Chris, let me grab you a card for a free air fill."

Is the airfill worth the $15 I could have saved, no... but knowing that when my regulator needs servicing they will make mine a priority is a nice thought.

Also, the feeling I will have when I show up for my OW dives with some gear I didn't get from them will be tough.

Originally posted by Murdock325
...Internet shops are thriving right now and don't have near the expense of a brick and mortar dive shop and therefore can even make less of a profit and still survive...

Is there really such an animal as an "Internet shop?" As far as I know, there are no internet-only scuba shops. Even Leisurepro has a big shop in NYC.

All of the shops selling online started out as brick-and-mortar shops and now have an online sales arm. Those "internet" shops that you refer to have all of the expenses of a regular shop and then some. I don't think this is the main reason for the huge differential in pricing.

Where did you read 'Internet Only'? I merely said that the Internet shops are the profit makers. You are reaching many more people for a lot less money, 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Ask the shops who deal both online and locally and see which is less expensive to run, and also ask which is more profitable. They wouldn't branch out to the Internet if they were going to lose money.

Trymixdiver:

Well, the owner was nice enough (I don't know if this is common), to try and sell me a regulator and computer and then let me go out and dive them before I made a decision. So most of the work was getting me into a wetsuit/BC combo that fit. The problem is I lift weights fairly seriously and have a decidedly atypical figure. That is to say, most wetsuits seem to be cut to expect a bit of a beer belly. Also, due to workout cycling, my bodyweight varies about 30 lb annually, so that is a pain, too. And for that thirty minutes, I only counted the time we were actually talking; I was there more like an hour+ with all the getting in and out of different wetsuits.

Joel (the owner) also mixed sizes on a farmer john wetsuit I bought.

-earl-

I got certified last june and have yet to purchase my own bc. I live in a place where there aren't any scuba shops...

I would like to purchase online. what would you suggest?

paula

There are more than a couple threads on this topic already so do a search but in a nutshell from what I have read here and personally experienced.... www.diveinn.com. I've saved a BUNDLE and got great service.

I have bought stuff from Leisure Pro and DiveInn and have had good experiences all around.

Make sure you understand what you are getting and not getting by buying online, you generally save money, but there are pros and cons as to service and warranty that you may get.

My favorite overall is Extreme Exposure as they will let you use the gear for a month and send it back if you don't like it.

Tommy

Like Guerosd said, there have been many discussions on the pros/cons of buying on line, so I also encourage a search of the board to find past threads on buying gear online.

Essentially, while you can save money buying online versus the LDS, you lose the all important personal assistance that a good shop can provide in ensuring that you have the right gear for you and your diving style, making sure it is all setup correctly, and that you fully understand all the particulars of its operation.

It's also been my experience that local support of the shop I patronize is invaluable in solving gear problems in a very short time. Simple ones I can get fixed on the spot, more complex within 24 hours to a bit longer depending on how difficult. But I do get it back in time for my next dive opportunity. With mail order, you'd have to send it back (at your expense) to a company that does not know you from the next guy, and be out of the use of the gear during it's round trip shipping and shop time. And if there is a problem at the shop, then you are out the use of your gear for that time as well.

Finally, be sure to become fully informed of the warranty issue. Many (if not most) of the manufacturers of mainline gear will not honor thier warranties if the gear is purchased via mail order or through the internet. And while this is often replaced by the seller's "store warranty", you need to guard against either a) the seller going out of business, and b) the seller no longer desiring to support that brand or model.

Essentially, I am encouraging you to become as informed of a consumer as possible. And not only on the brand/model of BC or reg you desire, but on the entire purchase and post-sale issue.

And if you have any more questions, please feel free to post them.

--Mike

Yes, definitely get as much information as you can before deciding what's best for you.

As for my gear quest, I did extensive research online, reading reviews and talking with more experienced divers. I wound up purchasing a backplate and wings, which I've been quite happy with, though it wasn't optimized for my style of diving at the time.

A year or so ago, I optimized my single-tank system by ordering a Halcyon backplate and 36lb wing over the phone. I didn't have to worry about whether it would fit properly, because the backplate harness system is practically a universal fit (you customize the fit yourself, no real difficulty there). Only if you're extremely large or small would you have any concerns.

Check the archives for reasons why you might prefer the backplate and wings system.

A few websites to start:

http://www.halcyon.net/

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/

http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/

http://www.fifthd.com/h2oadventuregear/index.html

There are other sites - AUL, OMS, and Dive-Rite come to mind - that I'm not familiar with, as well as a board member here who manufactures backplates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom