The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have received several orders from DiveInn and never been charged a duty tax from customs.

Have ordered from Leisure Pro several times. Never had a problem, so I don't know first hand about their warranty. They claim to offer warranty service at least as good as the manufacturers.
200 miles to your LDS? That doesn't sound very L, to me!

I bought fins, boots and weightbelts from SimplyScuba in January. Goods arrived very quickly. No problems at all. Very efficient operation.

I've also used Sebascuba for a Mares regulator, octo and console. Sebascuba is based in London but all the equipment is supplied direct by what appears to be a related company in Monza, Italy - Pianeta Diving. The regulator arrived promptly although only with a DIN fitting and they forgot to send the compass with the console. However, both issues were fixed promptly and without charge.

Try the following links:

www.sebascuba.co.uk
www.diverswarehouse.co.uk
www.divebox.co.uk
www.pianetadiving.com

both leisure pro and diveinn

I am a big proponent of my LDS an they get most of my buisness but I am only 11 miles way. I am now waiting on my Leisure pro order to be delivered. Sometimes you just have to order out as the LDS is wayyyy overpriced.

That said make sure with DiveInn that if you are getting any gauges etc. that they can do standard US as most of their stuff is in metric. The folks there e-mailed me and explained since they are in ER. they can only get metric.

Good Luck Good Diving

chuckrt

I've used all three without a hitch. I've never been charged duty either. I don't know anything about the warrenty stuff. I'm basically in the same boat you are regarding dive shops. Though there are a few within three hours, none of them offer the gear I want.

Good luck.

Mike

I started out not buying any gear online, but have started getting some gear recently.

Just got a like new wetsuit, equipment bag and scuba tool on ebay - saved about $250 over new at LDS.
However I just paid list at LDS for 2 Aqualung Titan LX regs for my kids. I'm not sure where I'll buy my own reg but I'm leaning to On-line (DiveInn).

It must be that psychological thing about regulators & kids etc.

NetPro

So far, almost 100 percent online. My LDS won't budge on full retail so he gets little of my business. DIVE SHOP OWNERS LISTEN: I would be willing to pay a bit more for local service, but I WILL NOT pay 50-100 percent markup. I'm shopping for my first computer and my LDS quoted me $425 for a Sherwood Logic ($260 on Leisurepro.com) and $650 for a Vyper console ($425 on Leisurepro). I bought my Pro QD+ online for $215, not the $400 my LDS wanted. As for little things like clips, dive light, hood, etc, the LDS markup is even higher. I shop around a lot, read reviews, try things on at dive shops, then buy online. Dive shops should take a lesson.

bylinepjw,

What the dive shop needs to do is to charge for letting you try it on. This is a service that no one is obligated to provide for free. An equipment counseling fee would be in order also.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
What the dive shop needs to do is to charge for letting you try it on.
Possibly, although this may weaken the psychological barrier against internet/phone/mailorder some seem to have, given the possible extra S&H expense if they have to exchange items.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
An equipment counseling fee would be in order also.
Pay a salesman to recommend his own products?

Pay a salesman to recommend his own products? That's one way to look at it. I have people take up many hours of my time and then buy what I recommended online. Shouldn't I at least get a commission for doing the online merchants sales work. You and the online guy make out there (I work for free) Why not just hit me on the head and take my money out of my pocket. As a consumer you should do what ever you think gives you the best bang for the buck but don't ask the shop to provide (for free) the services that the net doesn't. If you don't need these services or they are not to your satisfaction then do without. If you do need or want these services then pay for them. One can walk into my shop and without limit, ask questions and get answers. Try that with your doctor, lawyer, plumber or electrician. Like any other professional I have many years and many many thousands of dollars invested in my education. I must charge for my services. How about a coin slot on the fitting room? Maybe we could sell tickets at the door like a movie theater of an amusement park.

Then there are the things that we do that you don’t think about until you need it…
Two weeks ago we were in Florida cave diving with some customers. One of the divers had purchased a 10W HID Halcyon light from us (about $500). While preparing for a dive he found the light didn’t work. I provided him with a light (no charge) spent a bunch of time on the phone, and the next morning was on the road at the crack of dawn driving 50 miles to Halcyon to get replacement parts for the light. How unethical of me to think such services are worth money. And BTW Halcyon determined that the customer damaged the battery somehow and I ate the cost of the new battery. I charged Halcyons recommended price for the light but made nothing.

I read about all the people that don't need anything from the crooked lds but why am I busy with customers to 10pm every night. Oh..and word just in from the accountant...The final tally indicates that the store had $6,600 profit for 2001. I must be ripping someone off big time!

Back
Top Bottom