The life-cycle of a diving knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think @Shotmaster 's reply sums up one of the biggest reasons to carry a more substantial tool. Yes a line cutter and shears will cover 99% of normal cutting tasks, ...

Shears would easily cut netting. I cannot actually think of any reason you would want a large knife. If strapped to a leg it is an entanglement hazard in itself and more harm than good. Cutting rope off a prop is one reason to have a large and robust cutting tool available, but the best thing for this task IMHO is a hacksaw blade. Either way store it on the boat in the dry and it will last a lifetime.

I cannot actually think of any reason you would want a large knife
Harvesting/hunting has been mentioned a couple of times already.

Even if you personally don't see any reason to carry something bigger than the GUE-approved mini knife, that doesn't mean that no-one else can see a reason for that either. Use what's appropriate for your needs and let others use what they find appropriate for theirs.

If strapped to a leg it is an entanglement hazard in itself and more harm than good
How big is that risk provided you strap it on the inside of the calf - AFAIK what's recommended these days? I do that and I've never had an issue with it.

Benchmade 7 Rescue Hook (right BCD shoulder strap)
Spyderco FB31SYL Enuff Sheepfoot Fixed 2.75" H1 Serrated Blade (BCD waist belt, left side)

A bit of silicone grease after they are thoroughly dried.

GJS

In our area most of the wrecks have a fair amount of old monofilament fishing line snagged on them. I have had to cut myself free of it a couple times, but that’s the only time I’ve ever had to use a knife U/W. I always carry two cutting tools, located at two different points on my body, so I have a better chance of getting to at least one of them if I’m tangled. My usual cutting devices are a trilobyte in a sheath bungied to my left wrist with my computer, and a folding knife in a sheath on my BP’s waistband.

I’ve never gone in for expensive dive knifes. I only buy the cheap $10 ones at the sporting good store. I buy two or three at a time and replace them when they get rusty. If a cheap knife drops out of my hand on a dive, I don’t risk injury trying to retrieve it. The folding knives with the large unlock button on the top of the handle work best with dive gloves. Something with around a 4” blade is enough for me.

I have found several expensive lost dive knives on my dives. Usually titanium. I’ve also found a few sheaths without knives. The last time I inquired, the manufacturer would not sell me only a sheath, so for diving they’re now useless. It’s a shame. If the owners had scratched or painted a phone number on the handle they would have gotten them back.

On a dive boat I once saw a young guy, probably a new diver, with a knife strapped to his leg with a blade that was at least twelve inches long. It looked like a samurai sword. Kinda funny, but I'm sure he liked how it looked on him.

I have a Spiderco folder. I often use it as a tool/kitchen knife during the dive trips but so far never used it underwater. I hope I'll never have to but I know it is there if I need it.

I've actually lost almost every click lock style knife I ever had. Plastic buttons and plastic spring loaded gizmos to keep knives secure eventually all fail. The only way I found to positively secure any knife is some sort of sheath that has the knife bungeed in or a well secured cover, or a well made sheath that pressure fits around the knife. All these options seem to always be home made or home modified in some way. I dont know why the manufacturers cant come up with something that wont fail. Plastic is not a permanent and durable solution.
Also, I found anything made out of 304 as a cutting device is pretty worthless. It is impossible to obtain a super sharp edge on 304 and worse to try and keep an already mediocre edge sharp. The only thing I found that works well for cutting is 400 series stainless.
The BFK I have that I use for scallops is 304 but I only use it for a prying tool and to slip into the shell to cut loose one side of the scallop meat to get the shell open. Some of those shells get 8" - 9" in diameter so a knife that big is a bonus otherwise you couldn't reach in that far to cut loose the meat. However for a cutting device for line and such that knife is worthless.

Sometime back in the 80s I started hearing about not wearing your knife on your calf because of the entanglement hazard. I dive mainly Southern California and have been in a lot of kelp and it never even got snagged. To me this supposed hazard is a projection of someone's fears. Or maybe because I know it's there I avoid the kelp. The reason I keep it there is so I can get at it quickly and easily in case I get in a knife fight or need to fend off a shark or some unimaginable sea monster. But, like I said, that has not happened yet. Besides, it looks really cool strapped to my leg. Anyone who doesn't think it's cool has leg-knife phobias.

I tried putting in on my weight belt like Mike Nelson but it was uncomfortable and awkward. I figure he just hadn't thought of leg straps yet.

I think I paid about $8 for my knife originally. I also have a couple of spare knives and sheaths like the one Shotmaster posted a picture of with the blunt head which looks like it would be great for tenderizing abalone. When I bought my knife I opted for the one with a D-Ring where I could put a wrist strap to keep from losing my knife. It seems to have paid off.

To care for it I simply rinse it in fresh water outside of the sheath and don't put it back until completely dry. Occasionally I'll remove the handle but it doesn't really seem necessary.

Victorinox makes a number of inexpensive stainless steel knives that are considered standard issue for commercial fishermen. They make damn fine dive knives and are all of $20 for the knife and the sheath. Will zip through any line you're likely to come across.

vicky.jpg

Victorinox makes a number of inexpensive stainless steel knives that are considered standard issue for commercial fishermen. They make damn fine dive knives and are all of $20 for the knife and the sheath. Will zip through any line you're likely to come across.

View attachment 374978
This is the one I was talking about in one of my above posts. I couldn't remember the name. The ones I get have a red handle and are even cheaper than the one you linked, but the blade looks similar and is probably made from the same material.
They don't come with a sheath either.
Those things cut through anything like butter.

Back
Top Bottom