The long hose Blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The length is the same, regardless of unit of measure...

:eyebrow:

Not at all... a two metre hose is not seven feet long. And when was the last time you took a tape measure to a long hose?

I liked the concepts with the 7 foot hose so I converted my rec reg to a 7' hose. i also put my daughter in a long hose but hers is 5'. It goes under her shoulder as opposed to being tucked in her wasit strap or under a knife.

Not at all... a two metre hose is not seven feet long. And when was the last time you took a tape measure to a long hose?

*giggle* I will NOT make a remark that will violate TOS!

For me personally though, its been awhile but I can probably assume it's longer than 2"! :D

Kimber! are you saying what I think you're saying... a seven-inch hose is standard! :cool2:
Stupid fingers! :shakehead: I can't even come up with a clever reply!

The real point was to suggest that citing a very specific measurement as standard can lead to problems... especially when dealing with things like standards... far better to say a long hose is standard and its length is usually around 7 feet or two metres.

Trying to convert is the problem... I have to deal with both and it's easier to just think in either unit without attempting any conversion... a 200 foot dive is a 60 metre dive... even though really it's not. :)

Sometimes things aren't so simple! And when I talk to people in other countries. I say xxx feet or yy degrees f and they don't understand. They talk in meters and Celsius. Oh it's all so confusing! :confused: Thank goodness for computers! :)

The only advantage I know of, and Thal may have some more comments, is that it reduces by one the number of hoses (and thus reduces drag and clutter) you have.

Unlike Thal, I use my combo setup only as a pool rig because I need to dive a "traditional" BC for demonstration purposes.

In OW, I dive a BP/W, long hose primary, bungied secondary -- why? -- because I like the fit/feel of the BP/W better than my Balance AND since I go back and forth between singles and doubles, I at least keep some of my gear relatively standardized. Ideally, I'd do my pool work in a BP/W also but that means I'd need to develop a relationship with another shop -- but THAT is another long and boring story.

Well, the nice thing about jacket B/Cs is that for beginners they are perfect in every respect. And they mimmic the performance of an 18 lb oval wing as well, for warm waters.

The backplate is the ultimate evolution of skill, and originally many moons ago all tank rigs were plastic backplates anyway, and that worked fine, until ScubaPro invented the jacket B/C, which became very popular for the warm waters.

Hose length is still a technical matter. Unless you dive caves and wrecks, you really do not need a 7 ft hose. But once you learn to use a 7 ft hose, there is no reason ever to go back, and going back at that point would actually be a hazard if you ever needed to come back to the 7 ft-er. You would be out of practice, then.

*giggle* I will NOT make a remark that will violate TOS!

For me personally though, its been awhile but I can probably assume it's longer than 2"! :D

Stupid fingers! :shakehead: I can't even come up with a clever reply!

Hmm, well, uh, that was pretty clever, in fact, seems to me.:eyebrow:

2 inches is not much good for anything on this Earth.:no:

7 inches is NBA material.:rofl3:

But 7 FEET is what you would need for DPVs and wrecks and narrow caves.:)

This is truly a bizarre statement. A jacket BC has essentially nothing in common with a backplate and small (18lb) wing. Almost opposites, in fact.

And as far jacket BCs being "perfect in every respect" for beginners, that's a good one too!.

Whatever you're smoking, I'd like some too.

Well you live in Texas boy, so it should be easy to stop one of those south-to-north caravans and get some colombian weed off it, all you want. What's stopping you?

Speaking for myself, tech divers don't smoke, dude, so that leaves only you.:rofl3:

Well, the nice thing about jacket B/Cs is that for beginners they are perfect in every respect. And they mimmic the performance of an 18 lb oval wing as well, for warm waters.

The backplate is the ultimate evolution of skill, and originally many moons ago all tank rigs were plastic backplates anyway, and that worked fine, until ScubaPro invented the jacket B/C, which became very popular for the warm waters

Please, anybody reading this thread, disregard the quoted material above.

And the comment that, should you go back to a standard setup, you would be dangerous if you returned to the long hose.

Although the best facility with any piece of equipment is when you have used it habitually over a long period of time, experienced divers can function quite nicely with a variety of gear -- Maybe not at their peak, but quite competently. And a good diver will limit the depth and complexity of the dive he does in a given equipment setup until he feels relaxed and facile with it again.

And the comment that, should you go back to a standard setup, you would be dangerous if you returned to the long hose.

Although the best facility with any piece of equipment is when you have used it habitually over a long period of time, experienced divers can function quite nicely with a variety of gear -- Maybe not at their peak, but quite competently. And a good diver will limit the depth and complexity of the dive he does in a given equipment setup until he feels relaxed and facile with it again.

Oh, you disagree then?

Is that because your divemaster experience leads you to the conclusion that jacket B/Cs do not work for beginners?

TSandM:

Oh, you disagree then?

Is that because your divemaster experience leads you to the conclusion that jacket B/Cs do not work for beginners?

Speaking as a third party observer of this thread, lemme just say that one of you comes across as replying with intelligence and seems quite sincere in the effort to provide useful advice. The other, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom