The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't find a post I saw of @Eric Sedletzky about threading / rigging one of these plates? Seems straightforward but as a professional nerd I'd like to have the official guide handy.
It’s pretty easy.
Fold the harness webbing in half, run both ends through the front of the plate out through the back (this is at the top of the plate) run one end through the lowest slot and the other end through the center slot and pull tight. Then run both straps from the back out through the front on the top slot. This is all on the top portion of the plate. The straps will be reversed from a doubles style plate that have the shoulder straps wrapping over the top of the plate, on the Freedom Plate they come out the front. Then you can place D-rings where ever you want on the shoulders, then the straps go into the 30 degree angled slot at the waist and around the back and out the verticle slot and around your waist.

Currently in the process of rigging my new Freedom Plate. I want to buy a wing in the 18 to 30 pound range. I want to use tank bands that loop through the wing as well as the Freedom Plate. I thought about getting an Oxycheq Mach V 18# wing because I can get it in color, except that I cannot find a picture anywhere that shows the tank bands passing through the wing nor can I find a picture that shows slots in the wing. I've sent Oxycheq a note, but would appreciate any response from anyone with an OxyCheq 18# MACH V Chroma Series Single Tank Wing.

Or any other wing that is available in colors.

EDIT: Got the following reply from OxyCheq - "Yes. You cannot see them in the wing because the two sets (upper and lower) are directly below the spine (2” webbing). That is why our wings are so streamlined."

Last edited:
Hopefully, I'm moving up the list. Meanwhile, I'm planning a tee shirt that says "My other BP is a Freedom Contour!"

I thought about getting an Oxycheq Mach V 18# wing because I can get it in color, except that I cannot find a picture anywhere that shows the tank bands passing through the wing nor can I find a picture that shows slots in the wing.

You got the answer from the manufacturer, but just to reassure you, I have an Qxycheq (30 lb) and of course it matches up very well with the FP as the FP was designed with that wing in mind. Another wing you should consider is the VDH wing-I do have one (two actually) and they mate up very well to the FP. The wing is also well made and priced lower than the Qxy.

Loving my freedom plate thus far and can't wait to take her for a spin soon. Could some long time freedom plate users tell me if this looks right for where its sitting on me?

20180715_195327.jpg 20180715_195332.jpg 20180716_181853.jpg 20180716_181938.jpg

The waist strap still needs to be dialed in more before I trim it as theres about 4 ft of excess webbing. I got sick of only seeing red webbing with peoples freedom plates I thought I'd try blue!

Also with the VDH #18 wing it feels like the inflator is kind of in the way of the top left d-ring or maybe it feels quite short I dunno.. Does it look the right length, it's the standard 13" that comes with it.

There aren't any FP police, so what ever is comfortable and convenient. Overall, that looks pretty good to me except I prefer the upper D rings a bit lower. If you do lower them, you'll probably find the corrugated hose just about right. A bungee ring about the size of a D ring installed in the upper D ring tri-glide will help tame the inflator hose assembly. Alternatively, a big rubber band made from a piece of bicycle inner tube and placed just above the D-ring will hold it down. Speaking of bicycle inner tube rubber bands, I like to string a few on my harness to hold down junk I hang from the D-rings. If you don't want to exorcise your bicycle tire, these work very well DGX Hogarthian EPDM Loop For 2-Inch Webbing

There are lots of good ideas out there, search Akimbo's post on how he rigged his FP. I think Lowvis has some interesting post on the subject too.

Last edited:
Currently in the process of rigging my new Freedom Plate. I want to buy a wing in the 18 to 30 pound range. I want to use tank bands that loop through the wing as well as the Freedom Plate. I thought about getting an Oxycheq Mach V 18# wing because I can get it in color, except that I cannot find a picture anywhere that shows the tank bands passing through the wing nor can I find a picture that shows slots in the wing. I've sent Oxycheq a note, but would appreciate any response from anyone with an OxyCheq 18# MACH V Chroma Series Single Tank Wing.

Or any other wing that is available in colors.

EDIT: Got the following reply from OxyCheq - "Yes. You cannot see them in the wing because the two sets (upper and lower) are directly below the spine (2” webbing). That is why our wings are so streamlined."
All the Ocycheq Mach V series wings will work with the Freedom Plate. The cam band slots in the wing will line up with the slots on the plate so you can run the cam bands through both.
The VDH wing also works fantastic and as a matter of fact is the wing that I endorse at the moment to pair with the FP. It’s also less money and meets or exceeds the quality of the Oxycheq.
Either of those two wings can be bolted in between the plate and rail to make an assembled unit.
The Freedom Plate will also like to find it’s “sweet spot” on your back due to the curve and contouring. You can assemble it with a tank then bend over forward and hike the rig up to where it feels like it most belongs. If you skip the waist keepers the webbing will slide if you pull on it hard enough. Do this as mentioned above then get some one to mark it or take it off carefully and you’ll know where to put the keepers back. Some people like to keep it adjustable like a cinch system. Whatever you find works best.

FedEx says mine will be here on Thursday!

I got onto the waiting list for a medium sized plate on 12/9/2017 after a brief email exchange with Eric. Not that I'm saying everyone will have to wait this long. He was out of stock on medium plates at the time and was up front about the situation.

I'm going to put a diverite deluxe harness on mine.. I know, many of you will consider this a sin.

That is what I decided to go with and it works great. The quick release is a great feature for someone with a minor shoulder problem like me. Mine also have a 2" crotch strap from DR.

Loving my freedom plate thus far and can't wait to take her for a spin soon. Could some long time freedom plate users tell me if this looks right for where its sitting on me?

View attachment 469378 View attachment 469379 View attachment 469380 View attachment 469381

The waist strap still needs to be dialed in more before I trim it as theres about 4 ft of excess webbing. I got sick of only seeing red webbing with peoples freedom plates I thought I'd try blue!

Also with the VDH #18 wing it feels like the inflator is kind of in the way of the top left d-ring or maybe it feels quite short I dunno.. Does it look the right length, it's the standard 13" that comes with it.

It looks about right. But mine (I have a small plate and VDH Argonaut 23#) sits just a tad higher up but not by much.

The inflator hose is a bit short on my setup as well. But it is still manageable. Just need to reach up higher when you want to inflate/deflate. Or you can swap out with a longer hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom