The New Scuba Wagon... 2016 350 Transit XLT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a great project. I would like to share some pics about what a dive center have done (pics not updated)
Le Nouveau Camion du Club - Club Plongée Dreux 28

65782699.jpg
65705555.jpg
65706683.jpg

This is not mine I'm just sharing as I maybe plan to mae a similar project.
Would you mind to share some updated pics ?

Not to rain on your parade, mostly curious, why did you not have the inside spray foamed?? Excellent R value and done in a fraction of the time. Also gets into all the nooks and crannies. As far as the heat goes,,,it's been hot as heck up in northern NY also! No escape this year!!

In case you know or might have a few links:
I am wondering about the spray insulating for an upcoming van build (nothing bought yet, may be another year and it needs to become more of a universal hobby van / sort of RV, not a dedicated scuba van.... but it needs to do that too...)). Anyway after spray insulation, what are good options to cover it up? Ceiling and sides? Screw into the metal? Use riv-nuts? Or use woodstrips to minimize cold bridges & condensation (I am in freezing country) or?

@ P Murray: Great thread. Great Job.
How has everything been working out so far?
What is your floor strategy? I read about drains and the dehumidifier of course. With wet and dripping things all over (and despite rinsing at least some salt), how do you collect the little "rivers" and get them going to where they need to go and keep them off metal??
What kind of floor liner?
You are not running that dehumidifier off the house battery it's plug in AC - or?

There are lots of options for insulation, but I live on an island with only a few. These seem to have worked well for me. They were easy, cheap and the difference was immediate. You can over think this, in my opinion.

The floor liner came with the van and it's great. I keep thinking I need to add baffles and drains, but so far the problem hasn't presented itself, and I've dove out of the van a lot. So far, I just have the dehumidifier. My towel, bathing suit and t-shirt are mostly dry by the next day. No stink, which is the most important thing to me.

Here's a conundrum that has come up. In my Sprinter, the cargo area was hard separated from the passenger cabin with foam insulation and fiberglass. On my Transit, I have kept this open, with only a shower curtain to give a bit of privacy when I am changing and whatnot. There is no question that my Transit is normally quieter and a lot smoother than the Sprinter... until I hit a bump or uneven ground. Then I hear all the hanging stuff swing back and forth. No, it's not that bad but it's part and parcel of the trade-offs I have had to contemplate during the build out.

BTW, I finally had the van windows tinted: WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I put a light ceramic tint on the HUGE front window, which helps keep the heat down and a medium tint on the side windows which makes it far easier to see the GPS when I'm out driving. I hardly need my sunglasses during the day, but I can still see easily at night. It really, really cuts the glare coming through all that glass. I have also added a bug shield, which not only looks cool, but protects that leading edge from love bug damage.

LUi0uOmOIyAvWTfuBz-K1D2UEzrX1DNvTsxbqHEvIGmZy_XtCfXuVYkzcTx9oft4feHHGR74nBcpN3Er8Z=w1225-h919-no.jpg

Next? I think it's time to brand this van. :D I am trying to decide just how much of a brand. I really don't want it too busy. An understatement is best, so no wrap. I'm thing just a large logo that will fit on the sliding door (and the opposite side). This way it will be displayed even with the side door open. Thoughts?​

Last edited:
build yourself a slider door to close off the back!
Why? Right now, the passenger can fully recline their seat. That goes away when you start to block things off. The only negative is the noise on hitting a bump. I'm OK with putting up with that at the moment. I can't think of any other benefits and I love the fact that I can get into my seat if it's raining outside or exit through the side if there's a puddle or something I need to avoid. I like the open design over the closed one I use to have.

FORDivers

Back
Top Bottom