The New Scuba Wagon... 2016 350 Transit XLT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my stupid contribution, a pun to your thoughts on "branding. (Just because you now drive a FOR Divers van).
Anyway I am probably missing a lot of history to even remoteley know what you might be thinking about branding.
Personally I would keep a vehicle like that looking as generic "van" as possible. Nothing to invite passersby to think about expensive equipment being inside...

Why? Right now, the passenger can fully recline their seat. That goes away when you start to block things off. The only negative is the noise on hitting a bump. I'm OK with putting up with that at the moment. I can't think of any other benefits and I love the fact that I can get into my seat if it's raining outside or exit through the side if there's a puddle or something I need to avoid. I like the open design over the closed one I use to have.

The main reason for a separation or cage between the cargo area and the passenger compartment is to protect the passengers when there is an accident. Tanks or lead weights hitting someone in an accident can kill them. If this were a company/commercial van, it would require a cage. People being injured by objects from inside the vehicle are a common cause of injury and death. These vans are not subject to the same safety standards as passenger cars because they are commercial vehicles. Thus, most death payouts are capped and covered by workers compensation insurance. is this a scubaboard van or is it a personal vehicle? Either way, a cage might be a good addition and reclining is not the safest position if all the stuff in the back were to come forward.

The main reason for a separation or cage between the cargo area and the passenger compartment is to protect the passengers when there is an accident.
Tanks and weights are secured all the way in the back in their own cages. There are still a couple of possible missiles, but I've got plans for them as well.

Personally I would keep a vehicle like that looking as generic "van" as possible.
I need to promote ScubaBoard when I'm out and about. I live in the Keys and definitely want to promote the Board.

I have enjoyed reading about your adaptations to your van. These big tall eurovans are great for that. I added solar power to mine - you could also do that since you already have the most expensive parts (house batteries). If you do this, you would need panel (s) and a charge controller and the wires to connect things. Renogy Official Site | All-in-one Solar Kit | solar panel kits | Portable Solar Generator

I leave my solar panels on to charge my house battery when I am not using my van. They also keep a refrigerator/freezer running full time. Would you have a use for that? It sure beats fishing a wet sandwich out of ice and water in a cooler. And sometimes, a nice cold beverage after a long day....

This is what I use. 12 Volt Fridge Freezers It kills me to see it on sale, since I paid full price.

The solar panels don't interest me much since they can't support AC, but those fridges sure do. Thanks!!! Which model did you do with?

Our sailboat, Paradise Cafe, is being fitted out for The Big Trip from our dock at the Lake City, Minnesota Marina down the Mississippi to SoFla next fall. We just acquired an Engel MT45UF-1 dual voltage fridge/freezer.

S/V Paradise Cafe

It tests out perfectly. It will run on the solar panels and batteries when away from dock and switch automatically to shore power when connected at the dock.

We also have a 2KW invertor to run the microwave and M's favorite power tool, the vacuum cleaner.

DC

@The Chairman I have the MT45, it's awesome. Only thing I would change about it is the control is an analog dial vs a digital readout. Make sure to get the transit slide lock if you order one from Engel as it will secure it to the floor but still allow you to easily remove it if you so choose.

In your van depending on how you configure the interior though, the built-in ones may be a better choice. The biggest issue with the MT45 and it's siblings are that you have to have clearance above them to open the lids. In my dive trailer it means having taller counter heights but it also does double duty and lives in my Jeep when not on big dive trips

I use one of these to control the temperature.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temp...id=1490627138&sr=1-1&keywords=inkbird+12+volt

The temp probe is inside the cold box, the controller,(almost as big as a deck of cards), is under a nearby shelf and the controller runs on 12 volts. The controller switch is wired into the 12V power, but not the shore power. On 12V the controller shows the temperature and controls the comppressor. On shore power the analog adjuster controls the compressor. On shore power the controller is still active, so the temp is displayed and if the shore power is interrupted it goes back to 12V

DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom