The Observer Effect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But then we see situations like that captured in the video below, where the wildlife seems to be enjoying and even initiating interaction with strangers (divers) in their environment. It's not so black and white...

This is more clear cut for me & I've given it considerable thought, My personal rules re: this:

If a dolphin (or any other animal) wants to touch me, I will be thrilled. However, I won't return their touch because I don't want them to get used to humans & I could inadvertently hurt them (e.g., nails/jewelry/equipment could injure a dolphin, disturbing the mucus layer on some fish could leave them open to infection, etc.).

I definitely don't believe in chasing any animals either. If an animal is curious & approaches me, fantastic. But chasing them as some of these divers are doing in the video which then causes the dolphins to flee away even faster is a clear line for me.

Side note: I also won't drop into the water next to marine life as this disruption to their behavior may have a long-term impact on their well being and/or may cause them to leave their usual homes in favor of a quieter area. If I come across a wild dolphin/whale/etc. during my dive, I see this as a different scenario as it falls back under the marine life deciding to approach me.

I imagine that our mere presence has some kind of impact on the environment. When taking photographs or videos I often use a long selfie stick which helps to keep me away from corals and sponges etc. Occasionally the current might cause me to have slight unintended contact with a reef and I try to regain my normal position as quickly and harmlessly as possible. All of this may be fine and sound very noble however I have seen sea turtles demolishing fairly large areas of a reef with no consideration for the sponges and coral while they rip apart the plants and consume large amounts of them and deliberately inflict more damage in a few minutes than I probably ever will in my lifetime. While taking videos etc. I often have critters approach me. This is their choice and I usually am very happy to get a nice, close-up, frontal shot. If I attempt to video a creature and it takes off I simply find another more willing subject. I have no idea what effect my video may have on a filefish's mating or feeding or whatever but they seem friendly and interested in me just as I am in them...

You brought up some interesting points for me so I appreciate it. After thinking about it, I've come to the personal conclusion that...

A turtle decimating a reef falls into the natural cycle of life existing in balance for quite some time.

No judgment on you, but I believe there's a difference between a sudden unexpected current & diving in an area with current in general. If it's the former (e.g., a down current where a diver hits into a wall or has to use the wall to stop themselves), I'm ok with that. If it's the latter (e.g., surge, drift dives, areas with occasional current, etc.), then I think I should now plan to keep further away to avoid inadvertently touching the reef. (I didn't have this specific plan before your comment. And I have touched the reef before though I thought I was keeping my distance. But if I am inadvertently touching the reef in this latter case, this now means to me that I made a mistake, was too close & need to plan better in the future.)

...What concerns me the most, at least at this time, is the effect on the reefs by the development on land adjacent to the reefs. At the Cozumel Museum they have some interesting charts and graphs etc. explaining what they think the effects will be of too much development and seem to have a very good idea of how much is too much. I would be interested in knowing if there is a direct correlation between building hotels on the beach and the demise of coral reefs. From what I saw at the museum it sounds like the consequences of a few hotels may be much greater than hundreds or even thousands of careful divers swimming around taking pictures and sightseeing.

I think you're right about the development being of huge negative impact & it's interesting to note. I generally don't like staying at sprawling resorts, all inclusives, etc., but even staying in a town with too much development means I'm supporting the strain on the natural resources so I will add this to my list as well when considering where to dive. However, avoiding the development doesn't mean I shouldn't also be extremely careful underwater. I don't have to choose between these two, but in trying to minimize my impact, I can be careful with both.

...I can't see how anyone who has ever seen a porcupine fish in the wild could be other than repulsed by a dried, inflated fish with plastic wiggle eyes. I mean, is there anything on this planet that is cuter and friendlier-looking?

Ick! I have not seen that before, but I have seen similar things with baby sharks in glass bottles. :(

It's funny you say that. This came into the forefront of my mind today when I saw a crazy cool video...that someone had made where the camera was 1 foot away from the animal.

I've seen this in practice as well. A number of years ago I was in Egypt on a diving vacation and a well known National Geographic videographer was giving a course there. In the evenings they would show the video they were getting on a TV at the restaurant.

What you DIDN'T see on the video was the shocking behaviour of these divers. Just to give one example, during one evening dive I saw a group out on the reef laying all over the corals with their camera while (I believe) the instructor was poking a moray with a stick of some kind to get it out of its hiding place so they could film it swimming.

The next night the film was up on the screen and it looked great..... I just wish I had had a camera to film how they got that film because I think if divers or people who consume nature video knew what goes into getting that kind of footage there would be an outpouring of contempt for this kind of thing. I was personally mortified. In that 10 or 15 minute span of time I saw these divers doing more damage to the corals and to the marine life than I could imagine doing in a life time.

Since then I no longer worry about the impact of my own diving.

R..

My personal line is drawn at no touching, chasing, or attracting. I will get up close to tiny animals for a quick look, though.

What you DIDN'T see on the video was the shocking behaviour of these divers. Just to give one example, during one evening dive I saw a group out on the reef laying all over the corals with their camera while (I believe) the instructor was poking a moray with a stick of some kind to get it out of its hiding place so they could film it swimming. R..

On two different occasions I saw DMs coaxing a toadfish out of it's hole (Cozumel) so the guest divers could see it. One used his hand and basically pulled out the fish and the other used his snorkel.

A turtle decimating a reef falls into the natural cycle of life existing in balance for quite some time.

Undoubtedly turtles have been behaving like turtles for a long time but my point is that a diver accidentally touching a reef may not be as significant as we are told during a pre-dive briefing. But if everyone "accidentally" touched a reef that would be a different story. Another thing to consider is what impact we may be having by protecting the turtles--I think it is agreed that they do cause damage and if we are increasing their numbers by protecting them then are we contributing to the destruction of the reefs indirectly? Have we created an unnatural imbalance? It seems to me that whenever man interferes with nature there may be unforeseen consequences. I agree that accidently running into a reef is a mistake and effort should be made to avoid this but where do you draw the line? As long as there are humans there will be mistakes so the only way to be completely sure might be to avoid diving altogether.

A few decades ago the sea urchin population exploded in some areas of Palos Verdes in California and were supposedly destroying the kelp beds. The increase in sea urchins, if I recall correctly, was attributed to the increase in sewage being dumped into the water there. Divers were encouraged to kill as many sea urchins as they could in order to restore the "balance." Since the urchins were destroying their own food supply it seems inevitable that they would eventually die off and the kelp beds would start growing back. And, of course, once the food supply was restored the sea urchins would probably return. To me this sounds like a natural cycle that was influenced by man's interference. The more likely solution, as I see it, might have been to stop dumping the sewage into the ocean. Now we are told to kill lionfish. Unfortunately if we were to wait until the lionfish ran out of food there wouldn't be any fish left :wink:

Is there a difference between animal life that moves away vs. swims away very fast as if it was threatened ?

Most marine life can very easily and quickly get away from us if they feel threatened. I don't think we are doing any damage just because they move away from us. Being chased by a scuba diver is different than being chased by a predator.

I have seen photographers/videographers damaging coral to get the shot. However, myself and most that I have seen are not like that. I never touch marine life.

You could call it chasing, but I don't think there is anything wrong with something like this.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between animal life that moves away vs. swims away very fast as if it was threatened ?

Most marine life can very easily and quickly get away from us if they feel threatened. I don't think we are doing any damage just because they move away from us. Being chased by a scuba diver is different than being chased by a predator.

I have seen photographers/videographers damaging coral to get the shot. However, myself and most that I have seen are not like that. I never touch marine life.

You could call it chasing, but I don't think there is anything wrong with something like this.

The main thing I see wrong with your videos is that you took them and I didn't.

There are two "interactions" in this video... the Greeny at 0:25 and the shark at 0:53 & 1:34. OK, I practically shoved my go pro down that Greeny's mouth, but the shark was incidental. I don't see the harm in any of it. I don't see a need to change my habits here.

In my mind, eliminating gloves are the best way to get people to touch responsibly. Gloves eliminate painful feed backs. People are way more reticent to touch anything without gloves and so they are illegal in many destinations.

I teach that gloves are the first symptom of bad planning and buoyancy.

Obviously wreck penetration is different but I never allow gloves on OW dives ever.

Back
Top Bottom