The "Official" SB Scuba Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's already written King; just look at the NAUI/LAC/YMCA standards from the 60's. It was the "marketable short format modular course" that became the undoing of diver training in the first-place, but that's only from my perspective. :)

How about keeping it here?
Just try bullet pointing your suggestions and see where it goes.

Building a full curriculum (not just a wish list, but an actual course) takes a lot more than bullet points. Some sort of collaborative project system is kind of needed.

Building a full curriculum (not just a wish list, but an actual course) takes a lot more than bullet points. Some sort of collaborative project system is kind of needed.

Agreed but we need to start somewhere, right?

If we bullet out the basics, members can weigh in on the details. I can build a thread (sticky?) that each bullet will be followed by commentary specific to that bullet.

It's already written King; just look at the NAUI/LAC/YMCA standards from the 60's. It was the "marketable short format modular course" that became the undoing of diver training in the first-place, but that's only from my perspective. :)

Not quite what I mean. I'm not saying just a list of standards. I'm saying a complete course. Student materials, instructional standards, and all the specifics.It's possible, in small bits and pieces, to build a complete course with everyone contributing within the scope of their own experience.

We have all kinds of threads here listing everyone's opinion on some aspect of standards and details here and there. I'm talking about more than that. I'm talking about actually building a curriculum.

Basic/OW Swim Test:
1. 16 lengths any style or styles of stroke on front - no time limit;
2. 8 additional lengths on back any style or styles of stroke;
3. 20 minute drown proofing (localized area)
4. Tread water:
2 minutes hands and feet,
2 minutes feet only (hands out of water),
2 minutes arms only (feet crossed)
5. Underwater swim: 75 feet (no aids)
6. Pick-up a 10 lbs weight belt from the deep end, handing it to the instructor 24" from the surface (no aids)
Test continuous without rest.

Now the deletions or additions.... What do you think? :)

Not quite what I mean. I'm not saying just a list of standards. I'm saying a complete course. Student materials, instructional standards, and all the specifics.It's possible, in small bits and pieces, to build a complete course with everyone contributing within the scope of their own experience.

We have all kinds of threads here listing everyone's opinion on some aspect of standards and details here and there. I'm talking about more than that. I'm talking about actually building a curriculum.

I suppose that was what I meant. The training agencies had a suggested training curriculum that was given to Instructors as a guideline or sample. This would form a good basis to change as necessary and expand upon. Alternatively we could list the skill-sets i.e. what is to be taught get some agreement on the topics and drill down from there; just an idea.

I suppose that was what I meant. The training agencies had a suggested training curriculum that was given to Instructors as a guideline or sample. This would form a good basis to change as necessary and expand upon. Alternatively we could list the skill-sets i.e. what is to be taught get some agreement on the topics and drill down from there; just an idea.

Having a starting point is a good thing. Much of the basic information and requirements are there and will just need to be tweaked and added on (maybe some deletions). This will likely provide for quicker results than a perfectly clean slate. Start with something and edit the points as required while adding to them as well.

I'd like to see a course that includes some basic overview of different gear configurations along with pro/cons of each. Preferably, done in the first classroom session, allowing people to choose gear based on the information provided before their first pool session.

Straightforward factual presentation that allows for informed decisions without having a dive shop bias based on the brands they carry.

I'd like to see a course that includes some basic overview of different gear configurations along with pro/cons of each. Preferably, done in the first classroom session, allowing people to choose gear based on the information provided before their first pool session.

Straightforward factual presentation that allows for informed decisions without having a dive shop bias based on the brands they carry.

This would be nice but more often than not I think you would find shops pushing the "flavor of the week" in their shop rather than everything that may or may not be of interest to the user.

For independant instructors, I think your approach could be implemented easily enough (cost aside of course)

You mean as opposed to just outfitting everybody in what the LDS sells and has the highest markup? I still have my Atomic splitfins and snorkel from my OW class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom