The Old Guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Maybe it's because I'm getting older and feeling it, or maybe it's because of the posts I have read here on SB, or maybe a combination of both, but lately I've found myself doing lot of reminiscing about my early years of diving. At the time, I really didn't think about it much. It was all so new and exciting and every dive was a new adventure. Only now, looking back from the perspective of 44 years later, do I understand how special it really was.

What made it so special was that a group of crusty old ex-Navy divers, hardened by two wars and years of doing hazardous work underwater, would reach out to a snot-nosed kid with a yearning to learn to dive. Can you imagine a bunch of guys in their 40s, 50s and 60s volunteering their time to dive with a kid who was barely big enough to strap on a SCUBA tank?

When Harold introduced me to his friends that first time, there wasn't a grumble one from the bunch. They pulled me right into their midst and accepted me as one of the gang right from the start. In spite of my newbie status, to them I was a diver, plain and simple and they treated me as such. I wasn't aware of it then, but now I realize that they must have frequently tailored their dives to match the limited experience and abilities of their newest member: staying shallow when they really wanted to go deep; cutting a dive short to stay at NDL rather than doing a deco and other sacrifices done for my benefit. Perhaps it was because they all had kids who had no interest in diving, or maybe they just wanted to share their world with someone new. Whatever the reason, I owe those old guys a lot.

Thanks, Guys. Wherever you are.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and feeling it, or maybe it's because of the posts I have read here on SB, or maybe a combination of both, but lately I've found myself doing lot of reminiscing about my early years of diving. At the time, I really didn't think about it much. It was all so new and exciting and every dive was a new adventure. Only now, looking back from the perspective of 44 years later, do I understand how special it really was.

What made it so special was that a group of crusty old ex-Navy divers, hardened by two wars and years of doing hazardous work underwater, would reach out to a snot-nosed kid with a yearning to learn to dive. Can you imagine a bunch of guys in their 40s, 50s and 60s volunteering their time to dive with a kid who was barely big enough to strap on a SCUBA tank?

When Harold introduced me to his friends that first time, there wasn't a grumble one from the bunch. They pulled me right into their midst and accepted me as one of the gang right from the start. In spite of my newbie status, to them I was a diver, plain and simple and they treated me as such. I wasn't aware of it then, but now I realize that they must have frequently tailored their dives to match the limited experience and abilities of their newest member: staying shallow when they really wanted to go deep; cutting a dive short to stay at NDL rather than doing a deco and other sacrifices done for my benefit. Perhaps it was because they all had kids who had no interest in diving, or maybe they just wanted to share their world with someone new. Whatever the reason, I owe those old guys a lot.

Thanks, Guys. Wherever you are.

Those were great days my friend, probably never to be duplicated. The nanny state and lily livered dandies that call themselves divers these days would make men like you write about vomit. I had similar experiences with a group called Bay State Frogmen . Like you I was a eager young tadpole that probably drove those roughnecks a little mad, but you'd never know it:D. They'd take me to sites that only they knew of, we'd dive all day and then MY GOD! they would let this 16 year old puppy drink BEER! Men like that are gone now replaced by shells that look like men but shake like leafs at the mention of lawsuits:shocked2: The world is a little worst off at their passing.:depressed:
But like your group they live on in our memories which at least for now makes them immortal which is what I and probably you thought they were way back then:cool2:
Paladin954 just wanted to add a thank you you've really stirred up some great memories for me with this posts.:D

Last edited:
There's still some great crusty divers around now as well. The guys from the NAVED helped me learn how to dive vintage gear and learn the necessary skills. I learned more from them just by diving then I did from 8 different SCUBA courses including divemaster. The best part is that they did it for free, and weren't even trying to sell me four grand worth of dive gear. So yes, definitely, here's to the old divers.

Who you calling crusty?.....I always bathe after diving in salt water.:D

Thanks for the post. I too had a similar experience. It was 1964 and I was 11 when I started. Although it took me a year to get through the program, it was more than just learning how to dive. It was a social event in a diving club. It was earning the red hat and the self-respect you felt when you completed the training. Everyone helped everyone else. Mentors were plentiful and this was considered natural.

Over the past 37 years of being an active Instructor, I teach in the same way as I was taught. I also currently teach in a Club setting. The diver has to earn the card by becoming a competent buddy that can safely dive independently without an Instructor or DM holding his/her hand.

I'm not against others diving this way, but I hear too many complaints about people not being qualified to be out of the pool. I don't know why, but some people on SB are sensitive to this. Perhaps it's because they are poor swimmers, or they're just too dependent on having an hour's worth of air on their back and never having to learn snorkeling skills. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the post. I too had a similar experience. It was 1964 and I was 11 when I started. Although it took me a year to get through the program, it was more than just learning how to dive. It was a social event in a diving club. It was earning the red hat and the self-respect you felt when you completed the training. Everyone helped everyone else. Mentors were plentiful and this was considered natural.

Over the past 37 years of being an active Instructor, I teach in the same way as I was taught. I also currently teach in a Club setting. The diver has to earn the card by becoming a competent buddy that can safely dive independently without an Instructor or DM holding his/her hand.

I'm not against others diving this way, but I hear too many complaints about people not being qualified to be out of the pool. I don't know why, but some people on SB are sensitive to this. Perhaps it's because they are poor swimmers, or they're just too dependent on having an hour's worth of air on their back and never having to learn snorkeling skills. I'm not sure.

In all honesty, I have met some morbidly obese instructors. I have also met some instructors that could not swim 200 meters unaided or tread water for 15 minutes. Is it any wonder why there are people (some of them on this very board) who do not want the standards raised? How touchy would you be about that subject if you knew deep down that you could not hack it? Those of us that are not worried feel that way because we choose to stay fit and sharp enough regardless of age to be divers and dive leaders. It is funny how you would never see a newbie rock climber following a 300 pound guide up a wall, but plenty of newbie divers will follow a walking heart attack into the open ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom