The only gear you have is a dive watch...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_explorer

Registered
Reaction score
Say you're on vacation and you didn't know there was diving to be done, then one day, you run into a dive shop. You've got nothing but a dive watch. How do you go about planning a dive?

I thought about diving-on-the-go, and the first solution I had was always carry a water-proof dive table with me. Even with good eyes, I couldn't fit everything onto a credit card sized paper that I can stick into my travel wallet, so a dive table about the size of 8.5" x 5.5" should be ok.

I even thought about fitting trend lines over the dive table (ie. input depth and time, and out comes the pressure group), but I ran into problems trying to toss depth into the equation as a second variable.

Aside from having a highly portable dive table, the other problem is multi-level planning. That's not easy without a dive computer.

I guess you'd almost always have a guide with you if you're a recreational diver. I'd like to hear what other people do without a dive computer though.

A simple online course through UTD, called min-deco. You always bring your brain with you.......mostly.

If all your wearing is a dive watch where did you put your credit card?

HAHAHAHA LMAO, in the only slot available!

Hey, you could always get some skin-art that is the tables.... Folks seem to put just about anything on themselves these days....:D

I have been in that situation. After some consideration I did not dive.

My logic being the there are certain parts of my kit I am not willing to dive without. While I can rent a computer, its not my computer and there will be a learning curve. My mask has a magnifier, rentals do not. I always dive with an SMB and a cutting tool, both things not typically rented. I have rented the basic gear at times when I cannot haul everything, but this bits are important to me.

Back
Top Bottom