THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The criticism does not come from the trim (I think everyone should trim the way he likes), but by the fact that there are some "evangelists" who think that the horizontal trim is the only correct one, which should be used always, and who do not simply use that trim when inappropriate, but they even tell ME that I am doing it wrong...

if they like the horizontal trim and they always use it, even when another orientation would be more efficient, well it's a problem of them and I am perfectly fine with that

but if they tell you that you are doing wrong, even if you are not creating any issue (and I am sure you aren't) - I am with you 100%

if they like the horizontal trim and they always use it, even when another orientation would be more efficient, well it's a problem of them and I am perfectly fine with that

but if they tell you that you are doing wrong, even if you are not creating any issue (and I am sure you aren't) - I am with you 100%

Even whales understand better than the hardcore DIR "professionals" that being horizontal is best is just plain wrong. One thing I practice at depth is to get vertical, close my eyes and try to feel any change in depth using my ears and maintain depth. It's not easy and takes time to understand if you are ascending or descending. Try practicing your buoyancy like this. Sometimes people think I an sleeping on a dive lol.

Sleeping Whales: Photographer Reveals What Whales Look Like When They Snooze

Even whales understand better than the hardcore DIY "professionals" that being horizontal is best is just plain wrong. One thing I practice at depth is to get vertical, close my eyes and try to feel any change in depth using my ears and maintain depth. It's not easy and takes time to understand if you are ascending or descending.

Sleeping Whales: Photographer Reveals What Whales Look Like When They Snooze

You are playing the same game as the people you criticize. Well, feel free to do it :)

Did you mean DIY or DIR?

You are playing the same game as the people you criticize. Well, feel free to do it :) Did you mean DIY or DIR?
I like to play games who doesn't? I don't go around telling people they are wrong if they do not do some GUE fundies course or become a DIR zealot who goes around preaching we are all crap divers with no skills because we do not follow their mantra. I think what GUE teaches is great but demanding everyone buy the same configured gear is not. What if I dont want to dive with a backplate and wing? Same with DIR it's nonsense that divers have to aspire to be DIR divers.

I was told GUE instructors are not allowed to smoke but I have seen them smoking at restaurants in the Philippines. Seems the rules only apply when they think no one is looking.

I like to play games who doesn't? I don't go around telling people they are wrong if they do not do some GUE fundies course or become a DIR zealot who goes around preaching we are all crap divers with no skills because we do not follow their mantra.

No, but here on this forum you do the same thing, just the other way around: you tell people they are wrong if they use a horizontal trim. Same concept dude - why not simply dive and let dive?

I think what GUE teaches is great but demanding everyone buy the same brand gear is not.

Never happened to me, neither to anyone I know

I was told GUE instructors are not allowed to smoke but I have seen them smoking at restaurants in the Philippines. Seems the rules only apply when they think no one is looking.

You have just said it somewhere here on SB, and there were answers about it.

Now let me understand, what does "buying same brand" or "smoking when not allowed" have to do with proper horizontal trim? And why are you attacking an agency? (rhetoric question - everyone already know the answer)

Great conversation, and most of it very appropriate for the basic scuba section.

The diver in your video with all the rapid hand movements who got task overloaded and ran into you is pretty funny. Reminds me of a Bruce Lee karate movie. I’m going to assume that is an experienced diver who uses very little air because of their small body size and has made a conscious decision that hand skulling is ok. Nice they are good enough at it to not knock your mask off.

I wonder if perhaps another way to describe trim is that a divers posture in the water should be based on reason, not merely a result of ignorance or rule.
For example, in a no current dive if someone is trying to maximize their SAC, they can likely benefit from minimizing drag as they swim and eliminating unnecessary movement. On the other hand, if no current and air isn’t a constraint on their dive plan, in mid water where silting or reef damage is unlikely, they may choose to swim like on a bicycle and scull with hands.

horizontal trim is a tool, like any other, sure, drift diving with no bottom in sight, trim for the most part is not critical. But, swimming over reefs, through wrecks, "hard bottom" a diver with poor trim will be kicking everything within fin reach.

Spend a few weeks in the Keys on the cattle boats and watch how the reefs get hammered with fins by all those that feel horizontal trim is not important.

Great conversation, and most of it very appropriate for the basic scuba section. The diver in your video with all the rapid hand movements who got task overloaded and ran into you is pretty funny. Reminds me of a Bruce Lee karate movie. I’m going to assume that is an experienced diver who uses very little air because of their small body size and has made a conscious decision that hand skulling is ok.

She was one of the Korean divers. No clue I was there and she swam right into me. I didn't want to clock her on the head with my camera gear. My arms are longer than hers so she wasn't going to get to my mask lol.I just used her noggin as a stop like a door jam. If you watch in full screen you will see she is ascending fast as she has too much air in her BCD and she is head down tank up and after I stopped her she floated away towards the surface.

It's nice to annoy the GUE fundies
Rly? You go out of your way to annoy people and you wonder why they're annoyed?
But when they want to start preaching to me about how I should be doing things then maybe not lol.
And yet, here you preach. It sounds like your attitude dictates your attitude.

It's all about thrust angle. When I dive my SF2 (a rebreather) my butt is just a tiny bit lower than my head. It's easy breathing at that attitude. I still kick straight back so I don't have to fiddle with my buoyancy. When I'm in back or side mount, I'm pretty neutral through the whole dive. Unlike most, I skim along the bottom looking under outcroppings but don't stir up any silt. I still kick high and straight back. Thrust angle is the real issue, anyway.

Rly? You go out of your way to annoy people and you wonder why they're annoyed? And yet, here you preach. It sounds like your attitude dictates your attitude.

I was just practicing for becoming a DIR zealot. :)

ATTITUDE = 100%.jpg

Back
Top Bottom