The pros and cons of rebuilding your own regulators...

People who rebuild their own regs are...

• candidates for the Darwin award.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • egotisitical and short sighted.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • dellusional about their own perceived skills.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • ill equiped to handle all of the contingencies.

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • a little on the wild side.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • to be admired for their god-like knowledge.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • probably more conscientious about their equipment, and in tune to how it works.

Votes: 105 68.6%
  • Froody dudes who really know where their towels are...

Votes: 15 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG....
i could only read the first 11 pages....

i have come o the conclusion that GENESIS is a first class douche....

when i read the post about the drysuit that was it for me....what a dumb post from an obviously smart guy....

to all those that read this thread to discuss servicing your own reg.....

if you are mechanically competent there is no reason not to service them yourself. they are really pretty simple.

if you cannot FEEL that you are over tightening a bolt/nut then you have no business working on anything important.

there are fasteners that should ALWAYS be installed with a torque wrench...but for many there is really no need...

to whoever made the analogy of flying in a airplane worked on by amateurs in comparing that to diving on a self serviced reg.... get a clue...
this was a wild analogy... the complexity of a turbine engine is vastly more than the complexity of a simple regulator.

I have no issue with a shop following the teaching of the manufacturers service guidelines. Due to liability the manufacturers are NOT going to teach substandard repair technique.... no way..not going to happening this sue happy society...

fasteners all have torque specifications based on thread size/diameter and hardness...
6x1.0 8.8 bolts are all going to have a torque spec of between 69-92 inchlbs..... this is a standard......that is 5.75-7.5 ftlbs for those that prefer ftlbs

Back
Top Bottom