The relief of success

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may be possible to do this in a clear pool or above a sandy bottom with all the weight in the BC. But why would you?? You can put some of your weights on your weight belt, and you should. Partly for this very good reason. It gives you much better buoyancy control if you ditch the BC.

Last edited:
@MichaelMc I believe you are right: it would be ideal to wear a weight belt that neutralized the wetsuit, and have the BC weighted so it is neutral too. But the reason for weight integration is comfort, pure and simple. It is totally uncomfortable for me to wear both a weight belt and a BC. There is a place low on my spine where any pressure is a bad idea. I can’t even wear structured pants, only stretchy ones, and no belts. Weight integration is wonderful for people susceptible to low back pain. I love how a little air in the bc floats the weight off this spot.

Weight integration is wonderful for people susceptible to low back pain.
If you can't wear a belt, that makes sense. I used to kill my back with all weight on the belt. Buoyant shoulders and legs with a ton of lead in between. Neutral you and BC might leave you overweighted, but some in belt, for those that can tolerate it, gets you closer to neutral at depth. Plus 'ditch the belt' is fairly universal to understand for emergency surface buoyancy. While 'how do these integrated work' has many variations.

I’ve seen a video of a student doing it midwater by staying under the BC and rotating into it and that seems like better technique and certainly better trim, but when I tried it I got tangled and confused, but it might work great for you.
It's actually pretty easy and any OW student can master it. Keep the weight on top and move the diver, not the kit. I think I have a detailed description of it somewhere on SB.

It's actually pretty easy and any OW student can master it. Keep the weight on top and move the diver, not the kit. I think I have a detailed description of it somewhere on SB.
Yeah that was your video I saw... need to practice that!

It gives you much better buoyancy control if you ditch the BC.
Unless you're in a cave, if you're ditching your BC, you WANT to be positive. Get me to the surface on time! (Sounds like a Mary Poppins song)

Seems like a lot of people don’t even have ditchable weight anymore... it’s all plate and steel tanks, much more comfortable but is it safe? I certainly like the idea... who doesn’t hate weights!

Steel plate :): I have one, plus removable lead on it, at my shoulders, integrated ditchable hip weights, and a weight belt with shallow D rings I can clip my removable weighs to if I really wanted. And, if not with my bestest of buddies, a sizable pony.

I want to go to the surface when I decide, not when my wet suit decides.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of people don’t even have ditchable weight anymore... it’s all plate and steel tanks, much more comfortable but is it safe? I certainly like the idea... who doesn’t hate weights!
Is it safe? It depends on how balanced your kit is. If I can't easily swim my kit up without any air, then I'm wearing a redundant bladder. If I'm neutral or within a pound or two, then I shouldn't have to dump any weight to get to the surface. If I'm wearing doubles, side or back, then I'm wearing that redundant bladder.

Back
Top Bottom