The Rule of Fun: what do you do when you aren't having any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is also an unpleasant way to learn that you chose the wrong dive buddies when you thumb a dive at 180 feet and they say no.

Fun is a relative term. Less than 2% of my dives have been aborted because I wasn't enjoying them. No vis, surge or lack of marine life are the usual reasons I abort dives. I've only had fun during 5% of my dives. This usually involves finding something new or having a great encounter with marine life. The other 93% of my dives are spent looking for subjects and attempting to get a good photo of them. This is mostly frustrating but I wouldn't call it not having fun. It's just diving.

Some divers have fun making dives I don't consider fun. I hate drift diving with a passion. I will never dive places like Cozumel again. I enjoy night diving but don't do it much because it's hard to read my spg at night. It takes two hands to hold my camera. Adding a light in the mix lessens my enjoyment. I guess I'm just no fun to be around. :)

Some people take pictures while they are diving. Others dive while they are taking pictures. I suppose the fun really depends on your priorities.

Even before I got a camera I was looking carefully at the animals I found and trying to identify them later at the library. A camera made my diving much easier. I can't remember the last time I went diving just to swim underwater, if I ever did.

If I were in the middle of a dive and my buddy indicated we should bail and later said it was because he "wasn't having fun" I'd be pissed.

...Iodophor, an iodine based sanitizer. The directions on the bottle said to use it on the equipment, rinse it, and let it dry. Someone asked how carefully the equipment had to be rinsed and dried, and that spurred a discussion much like using a long hose question would on ScubaBoard...

No way! You can't rinse after using Iodophor OR YOU'RE GONNA DIE!! I'm calling the homebrewtalk police!! LMAO :rofl3:

nice comparison.

Responding to something @Kristi@CCDS said earlier:

The number on the c-card is a limit, not a target.

This applies to credit cards and speed limits too.

Fun is relative.
You've met my daughter then! :D :D :D

As an automotive service manager, I was often asked if a customer should fix their car or sell it. I told them that they would have to find their own 'tipping point' and that I couldn't answer that for them. The tipping point occurs when the BS outweighs the fun and you feel you are chasing your tail. If you're cussing the whole time through your regulator, then you've probably passed that point. In addition, we're often tempted to overlook malfunctioning gear relying on our resourcefulness or testosterone to make the dive work. Most accidents are cascading in nature. It starts with a single problem and while you're constantly dealing with that problem, you fail to notice other problems. That leaky mask might very well turn into an OOA. Is that really worth it just so you can thump your chest? Don't let those pesky little problems turn into an obituary. You can't thump your chest when you do that.

If you aren't having fun, trolling on ScubaBoard is another option....:yeahbaby::yeahbaby::yeahbaby:

I'm surprised to find little representation from the other side of the coin.

Obviously excepting those situations where safety is a concern, including when severe discomfort (e.g. cold) could cascade into a safety issue...

My personal experience has taught me that some of my most memorable and worthwhile adventures have come from the most unexpected and unplanned of places. While the quote "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" sounds trite, it's true. But I'm not just talking about learning opportunites. OK, so you didn't see a shark or a huge grouper, or whatever it is you were hoping to find. Keeping your mind open to new experiences and letting a moment happen can open a window that stays shut for those that decide they are "bored". (This works above the surface, too.)

Back
Top Bottom