The SCUBA Police and the Vintage Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i can see both sides of the story here, there is the safety side of having a budy, but if the gear is working well kept who cares what you dive with.

I can't believe it....YANK your card !!! LMAO !!!! If there was such a thing as SCUBA cops then I'd be on death row !!

Simply never would have anticipated such a thing. I frankly can't even guess what I would have done in that situation. Although, as an Ex cop I sure would have wanted to say "Come and get it @)#%&_@&#%$)@(...." Then let the police clean up the leftovers.

I had forgotten about this thread until it resurfaced recently. So, I guess an update is in order.

I had occasion to be in the neighborhood of the dive shop in question back in December and decided to stop in to check it out. The "shop" wasn't easy to find. It turned out to be in the owner's garage, out back of his house. The owner is a likable guy and we talked about various aspects of diving. We eventually got around to talking about vintage dive gear and I learned that he actually thinks diving old equipment is fine as long as the gear is kept in good shape and the diver knows what he's doing. So, I related what had happened out on the lake.

After he calmed down and his language was once more fit for human ears, he told me that the instructor in question has never worked for his shop. Rather, he had simply used the shop as a contact point for recruiting students. The shop owner is not, himself, a certified instructor and relies on freelancers to train anyone who comes in looking for a class. The guy in question had done more harm than good for the shop's business and, I was told, was banned from the shop not long after my encounter with him on Grayson Lake.

The owner was concerned when I told him I'd posted my experience on SB, until I assured him I hadn't named his shop. His operation is marginal at best and he doesn't need any adverse publicity, so I promised to keep him, and his business, to myself.

Before I left, he handed me coupons for ten free air fills for when I'm diving in his area and apologized for what happened.

The owner was concerned when I told him I'd posted my experience on SB, until I assured him I hadn't named his shop. His operation is marginal at best and he doesn't need any adverse publicity, so I promised to keep him, and his business, to myself.

Ah! But on the other hand, being a marginal shop I would think he could use some positive publicity. Now that we know he had essentially nothing to do with the loudmouthed fool, maybe directing divers to his obscure little shop would be a good thing for him.

I had forgotten about this thread until it resurfaced recently. So, I guess an update is in order.

I had occasion to be in the neighborhood of the dive shop in question back in December and decided to stop in to check it out. The "shop" wasn't easy to find. It turned out to be in the owner's garage, out back of his house. The owner is a likable guy and we talked about various aspects of diving. We eventually got around to talking about vintage dive gear and I learned that he actually thinks diving old equipment is fine as long as the gear is kept in good shape and the diver knows what he's doing. So, I related what had happened out on the lake.

After he calmed down and his language was once more fit for human ears, he told me that the instructor in question has never worked for his shop. Rather, he had simply used the shop as a contact point for recruiting students. The shop owner is not, himself, a certified instructor and relies on freelancers to train anyone who comes in looking for a class. The guy in question had done more harm than good for the shop's business and, I was told, was banned from the shop not long after my encounter with him on Grayson Lake.

Before I left, he handed me coupons for ten free air fills for when I'm diving in his area and apologized for what happened.
Thanks for the update.
ZDD

so glad there was some closure, personally I was hoping that you follow him to the depths and cut his regulator hose Sea Hunt style. Just sorry to see that this had to place in the great commonwealth of Kentucky. :vintagediver:

I would find out the instructors name from the shop owner and contact who ever certified this clown! This is after all a self regulated industry, I think it is time to regulate this guy out!

Entertaining thread! How often do you guys run into tools like this? I can only think of one...

What happened in your case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom