The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, what if judge is a diver?

You may not know this but judge is actually a yankee.

But I wouldn't be wearing my Pedrix as a watch or expecting watch type characteristics out of it. That short of battery life for a "watch" type device for me is a non-starter. Love my Petrel1 and PedrixAI.......

My point was only that, if you use a Teric the same way you use a Perdix, it should last as long on a charge as a Perdix does on a battery. So, as someone else already said, battery life should not be a reason to shun a Teric. In my opinion, anyway.

Since receiving my Teric on June 12th, I’ve made many dives with it, and have been extremely pleased with my purchase, (as I have been with the Predator, Petrel, and Perdix, units that I own). I’ve been using the Teric as a back-up/redundant computer for all of my recent open circuit and closed circuit dives, and it has performed exactly as I hoped it would. It’s proven to be reliable enough that I’m going to give the Petrel to my son.

I’ve only needed to recharge the unit a few times so far, and don’t foresee recharging causing much of an issue except in the most extreme, and infrequent circumstances.

I’ve no intention of wearing the Teric as a watch 24/7 while at home, as I see no need to subject this valuable bit of gear to unnecessary wear, abuse, and abrasion as I make my clumsy way through the rest of my daily misadventures. I simply put it on in place of my watch before I head out for a day of diving, and then rinse and stow it when I return. I probably will wear it constantly when on live-aboard or other extended dive trips.

I presume that I’m getting good longevity from each charge partly because I do not use the AI feature, turn the watch off if I don’t need to refer to it for a while, and use the lowest brightness setting that I can readily see.

After spending a week in Coz, I really, really love the overlaid compass. I actually put the watch in its charger where it acted as a clock while it was charging. I never missed a dive because of it being discharged.

My point was only that, if you use a Teric the same way you use a Perdix, it should last as long on a charge as a Perdix does on a battery. So, as someone else already said, battery life should not be a reason to shun a Teric. In my opinion, anyway.

I know myself well enough to envision my arriving at the boat with a dead battery. With a Perdix I'd just take a spare AA and a minute later I'm back in business. Right now I'm happy with my Geo that runs for a year without worry.

I know myself well enough to envision my arriving at the boat with a dead battery. With a Perdix I'd just take a spare AA and a minute later I'm back in business. Right now I'm happy with my Geo that runs for a year without worry.

I’m sure that you could just use the car battery that I presume you lug around with you (to charge your cellphone, hey you never know) if you need a quick charge.

Back
Top Bottom